• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Questions about Apples

sonnyhung

Hi, I've got a few questions about Apples

*NOTE: I'm a city worker so don't have much to spend on stuff, but if you have one of the older Apples or Macs I'd be interested if it were FREE or cheap as I could pickup in the NYC area...

1) Does anyone have an Apple IIc power brick? I'm in the NYC area and got an Apple IIc without a power brick. Would like to test it out before buying one. If you have one for sale contact me directly! I'm looking to spen $15 shipped since the Apple IIc I have maybe kaputz... TIA

2) Does anyone have an Apple II for sale at a fair price. The unit doesn't need to be pristine. I'm looking for one that works. It's to replace the one that was sold on me... :(

3) Does anyone have a Super-Mod for an Apple? I am missing it from my unit.
TIA

4) How much is an Apple III worth working or dead?

TIA

God bless,
Sonny

Well, I don't know where to find a Sup-R-Mod, but I do know that Apple II's have a composite video output on the back :) just use an RCA cable.

If you are a bit skilled in working with electronics, maybe you can manufacture a make-shift power supply just to test if the IIc is working? Long quote from the Apple2 FAQ:

004: Can I use a 'generic' surplus power supply in my Apple II?

Sure. Check out the power supplies listed in the MPJA, JDR, Jameco, and similar catalogs (see http://home.swbell.net/rubywand/A2FAQs3VENDORS.html for links). Mainly, you are looking for a relatively compact switching power supply which fits the following guidelines:

1- all four Voltages (+/- 5V and +/- 12V) are available
2- the power supply can be fitted into your Apple II
3- the +5 Volt output is rated at 5-10 Amps
4- the +12 Volt output is rated at 1.5-3 Amps
5- price is no more than $25

As more and more new surplus power supplies are dumped, part of your shopping challenge is finding one which is _small_ enough to work well with the Apple II. This explains the price guideline. If a unit costs more than $20, the odds are pretty good that it's too big physically or electrically.

Too big electrically? In general, power supplies need to be loaded in order to do a good job of regulation. A 25-Amp output which is called upon to deliver 1 or 2 Amps is more likely to exhibit problems with feedback and regulation than were it asked to deliver, say, 5 or 6 Amps. An Apple II with a few power-sucking Slot cards will work fine with many PC power supplies; a base system with no cards could have problems adequately loading some PC supplies.

Your best choice for an in-the-case replacement is likely to be some $15.95 unit rated at a total of less than 125 watts which was originally designed to power a printer, monitor, or portable PC. Probably, it will be "open frame" with no case, switch, fan, or power cord.

Installing a power supply unit -- i.e. one not specifically designed for the Apple II -- inside your Apple II can involve a fair amount of work. When I did such an install on our II+, the most time-consuming part was fixing up a way to mount the On/Off switch and AC cord socket in the usual power supply opening in the back of the case. (Mounting the stuff on a small plastic panel set into the opening worked fine.)

The power supply board itself mounted nicely on spacers in the space provided for the standard PS. Once the AC and various DC lines were connected, the new PS came on-line without a hitch. Our II+ hasn't had any power supply problems since.

Anyway, I don't think modern PC power supplies have -5V and -12V. According to the specs for a IIe - does a IIc differ much in that respect? - the PSU should deliver +5V 2.5A, -5V 0.25A, +12V 1.5A and -12V 0.25A.

Actually, the IIc, as the man said, is a "brick" power supply, an external power adapter that plugs into the wall outlet and then a cord from it plugs into the IIc, like a notebook power supply.

And yes, I have a mint Apple II+ (with drive and controller) and an Astec based video modulator with VHF and cable outputs, but, I'm afraid, neither of them are cheap.

As for the Apple ///, well, I've seen them go for up to $450US in mint condition with external drive and as little as $80US for a dead unit. I'm personally looking for a dead Apple /// motherboard that I can salvage parts from.

Back