• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

QX-10 floppy drive issues

Many of those BBS's that are available over telnet also are still being run with dial up connections as well. Here is a list of BBS that still claim to have a phone number associated with them. I don't personally have a good setup for dial up at the moment so I haven't tested any of them myself, but there are still people running dialup BBSs.

Thanks for the suggestions from both of you. I mounted the Gotek in the B: slot on right with the known good Epson drive as A: on left. The issue of the read errors on
A: returned especially when trying to use the copydisk function either cpm or tpm. I put the termination resistor chip on A: and it works perfectly now. The problem is
disassembly to get to the drives requires unplugging power and data cables from the motherboard since they are so short in length so if the problem is intermittent
I might not know right away since so much pulling and tugging goes on. The end of the floppy cable is on B: but of course no place for termination on the Gotek so
decided to try on A: which is mid-cable. I'll update here if things go south again.

Thanks for the suggestions from both of you. I mounted the Gotek in the B: slot on right with the known good Epson drive as A: on left. The issue of the read errors on
A: returned especially when trying to use the copydisk function either cpm or tpm. I put the termination resistor chip on A: and it works perfectly now. The problem is
disassembly to get to the drives requires unplugging power and data cables from the motherboard since they are so short in length so if the problem is intermittent
I might not know right away since so much pulling and tugging goes on. The end of the floppy cable is on B: but of course no place for termination on the Gotek so
decided to try on A: which is mid-cable. I'll update here if things go south again.
Hopefully things will work with the mid cable jumper, though I suppose you should be able to put the A: drive on the end of the cable if not. After all unlike a IBM PC, it shouldn't matter where in the chain the drive is just what the drive select jumpers are set to. It would mean the A: drive was the right drive though.

I may have found my motor problem. I removed C32 and C33 to reveal corrosion under them and creeping onto the leads of resistor R88
motor corrosion.JPG

@brijohn I still wasn't able to get the Gotek reliable on drive B: but I did get my B: drive working again by replacing C30,C32 and C33 which were all leaking. I also jumpered an open trace in the speed loop caused by the electrolyte corrosion. Here is a photo of schematic and my hand drawing of the problem. I mounted two of the caps on the foils side because of space. So far so good. Now the next question is whether to proactively replace those on drive A:

Larry Gschematic of fix.JPG

Back