• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Rabble Forth Kernel & RSC Forth Development ROM on R6511Q populated PCB Circa 1988

inotarobot

Veteran Member
Rabble Forth Kernel & RSC Forth Development ROM on R6511Q populated PCB Circa 1988

these are pics of the Rabble Forth Kernel ROM & RSC Forth Development ROM on R6511Q populated PCB Circa 1988

These were on one of the 4 old PCB's I got recently

g7lkHkw.jpg

n248JXl.jpg

j5jFG5w.jpg

I know nothing about the history of these boards, but think they has something to do with security system development based on the text on a eprom on one of the other pcbs.

I don't plan to keep then..

Highly likely I will make a copy of the eproms before I part with these boards.

and may just take (5%) the HM6116P's off 1 or 2 of the boards, and then likely offer the 4 boards for sale.

Thanks for posting those pictures. That's an FB1, one of my earliest controller boards. There were about 200 made, most were built as controllers for Peach pitting machines. But a lot were sold to members of the KAOS computer club for developing custom controller applications.

I'm trying to remember who was using them for developing security applications. I seem to remember there was at least one guy doing entry control systems. But I wouldn't have any details of the mods.

You can connect a serial terminal to the RS422 connections, that's the orange connector, it will be 9600 8N1 and if you type "WORDS" that will list the dictionary, which might provide a clue as to the application.

PS. Thanks for MichaelB for alerting me to this post.

Ignore my post on your Motorola board find - interesting that these old boards powered up without errors.

Another nice find - although I'll stick with my Tektronix vintage computer collection :) I've got more than enough to do with those computers.

Thanks for posting those pictures. That's an FB1, one of my earliest controller boards. There were about 200 made, most were built as controllers for Peach pitting machines. But a lot were sold to members of the KAOS computer club for developing custom controller applications.

I'm trying to remember who was using them for developing security applications. I seem to remember there was at least one guy doing entry control systems. But I wouldn't have any details of the mods.

You can connect a serial terminal to the RS422 connections, that's the orange connector, it will be 9600 8N1 and if you type "WORDS" that will list the dictionary, which might provide a clue as to the application.

PS. Thanks for MichaelB for alerting me to this post.

Hello Ray.. welcome here as I see you are a new member.

I live just out of Healesville, Victoria and the eWaste dump I use to go to quite regularly prior to Covid-19 and Petrol Prices being now almost $2 per Litre, has turned up some surprising finds over the years.

But like everything its just being at the right place at the right time and trusting your instincts.

I have a second recent post here with long title about Computers "speaking, talking & screaming" and I invite you to read it as in it I describe how I found these boards.

I certainly have my Project Bucket List OVERFLOWING so I hope these boards will end up with one or more of the members here to explore.

For now I will leave them as found. Sadly I have no time for at least a month to put power to them and set up a terminal.

Do you still have any documentation schematics etc that can be uploaded to Bitsavers?

Also any ideas on the origin of Rabble Fourth ?

Regards
David

What's going on with my missing posts? I replied to this days ago... Still nothing showing up. Also posts from the 6802 thread are still missing.

Ok, different message this time, it looks like VB silently logged me out and said I didn't have posting permissions, in spite of the message at the bottom of the screen saying I did have permission.
Previously the message was "awaiting moderation". So the missing posts might have just vanished into the ether rather than entering a moderator hold state.
Anyway.... let's try once more...

All understood, but its weird that later posts are showing up but earlier ones aren't.

Anyway, on the off chance this one does by some miracle appear, I'll try again.

The Rabble Forth on the FB1 is basically Rockwell RSC Forth 1.7, which is FIG-Forth for the 6502, converted from the AIM 65 eprom version I used for the early development. Later versions were F83 standard that I built from the ground up.

That board could take 256K ram or in the example you have the 2K 6116's

If you hook up a serial terminal 9600 8N1 you should be able to list the dictionary.

Hope that helps explain a little of what you are looking at. :)

Regards
Ray

Ok, straight to:-

"Thank you for posting! Your post will not be visible until a moderator has approved it for posting."

6 days and counting.

Rabble Forth Kernel ROM & RSC Forth

Rabble Forth Kernel ROM & RSC Forth

Haven't come across "Rabble" Forth, but there were and are heaps of FORTH versions & ports in existence.

There's still a few active FORTH groups around, a couple seem to have moved to Facebook (and maybe elsewhere?) VFX Forth and some others still exist and are being developed. C.H.Ting is still doing stuff, with ESP32, for example.

So: you may well find someone is aware of Rabble, or interested in the boards and figuring them out. Particularly as it looks like it's got hosted development ROMs, not only set up as an embedded target.

Back