• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Radius PrecisionColor 8-24X Acceleration?

geoffm3

Veteran Member
I just got one of these buggers from a (semi-) local seller on eBay. It is fully loaded with RAM (I believe 3MB?) Anyways, it seems to work fine in 24-bit mode but I can't tell if it's actually accelerating the graphics at all. According to all documentation I can find online this is supposed to be a Quickdraw accelerated card, however when I open the QuickColor control panel to enable acceleration (as I've learned is required in order to support it), it has a pane above the acceleration enable/disable button that is supposed to show all the acceleration-capable cards and there are none listed.

I haven't run any sort of benchmarks yet but that struck me as odd. It does seem like things are slightly more fast when enabled vs not in things like scrolling up and down through a long list of pull down menu options for example.

Is this correct behavior in this control panel? I'm running v3.3.

Pretty sure that should "just work" then. I'm not sure what to say. You could try a video benchmark like Snooper and see if you notice any difference with acceleration on or off (by the "global" button in QuickColor, since the card isn't appearing in the list).

I seem to recall some Radius products having problems with later versions of System 7.... maybe downgrade to 7.1 or 7.5.5?

I'm running 7.1 on my machine, which appears to be compatible. I'd also recommend trying out a lower System 7. 7.1.1 Pro is my goto OS.

I have 7.6 on a couple of my '040s but I certainly prefer 7.1 with upgraded CDEVs/INITs (yes, Window Shade, Apple Menu Items, etc., all work just fine in 7.1). Never had much use for 7.5, personally, and the Power Mac 7200s I used in college with 7.5.2 were execrably unstable.

I went straight to 8 when it came out. That was a breath of fresh air even if it was ultimately just lipstick on the pig.

I have 7.6 on a couple of my '040s but I certainly prefer 7.1 with upgraded CDEVs/INITs (yes, Window Shade, Apple Menu Items, etc., all work just fine in 7.1). Never had much use for 7.5, personally, and the Power Mac 7200s I used in college with 7.5.2 were execrably unstable.

I went straight to 8 when it came out. That was a breath of fresh air even if it was ultimately just lipstick on the pig.

It does seem a little doggy with what's on there currently. I think I upgraded it ages ago when I put an Asante EN/SC card in there just for networking... seemed like that was a little less fiddly than adding on a bunch of stuff for TCP/IP.

Back