• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Random Characters Issue on a COMMOODRE PET 2001

Pros and cons, and whatever you think you'll find the easiest; looks like Dave's in the native assembler camp while Anders and I prefer to cross-assemble.

Maybe it's worth starting another thread? Sounds like we may get into a few related issues and discussions (pros and cons, file transfers, etc..)...

Mike,
This would be an interesting topic. Shortly I will start a new thread. Let's keep this one to complete Stephane's project as it has had enough diversions. Although I really enjoyed the digression into the CRC code.

@Dave :
- The BATPRO package looks really interesting ; is it possible to try it from VICE ?

Stéphane,
Yes, VICE is a great program to try things like that. BATPRO only works with BASIC 4, so go to SETTINGS and under PET choose 4032B with 32K. Then go to ROM settings, click on COMPUTER and for ROM 9, type the path to this file on your PC: BAT4-8H9.bin and for ROM A: BAT4-8HA.bin

You can download the files from here: ROM9 and ROMA

One thing I need to figure out is how to map the PC keyboard for a better match to the PET business keyboard. It is pretty close but not exact. for instance the "@" on my PC is the "quote" for the PET.

Last edited:
I WILL NOT GROVEL!!! And I don't care a fig about your asterisk! So there!;-)

I'm sorry to see that, as it means that you will forever be known only as the "Roger Maris" of sumchecks instead of the "Babe Ruth".

As The Bambino was called "The Sultan of Swat", you could have earned the sobriquet, "The Sultan of Sumchecks" :)

I'm sorry to see that, as it means that you will forever be known only as the "Roger Maris" of sumchecks instead of the "Babe Ruth".
As long as it's not the "Pete Rose" or "Roger Clemens"...

Speaking of drug scandals and the Babe:

The book The Baseball Hall of Shame's Warped Record Book, written by Bruce Nash, Bob Smith, and Allan Zullo, includes an account of Babe Ruth administering to himself an injection of an extract from sheep testicles. The experimental concoction allegedly proved ineffective, making Ruth ill and leading the Yankees to attribute his absence from the lineup to "a bellyache".
As to Roger Maris, I'd be proud to wear his honourable name by comparison:
According to writer Zev Chafets, Mickey Mantle's fade during his 1961 home run chase with Roger Maris was the indirect result of an attempt by Mantle to gain a substance-based edge. Chafets alleges that Mantle was hampered by an abscess created by a botched injection of a chemical cocktail administered by a "quack" doctor, Max Jacobsen. According to Chafets, the injection included steroids and amphetamines, among other substances.

What's been happening?

Have those ROMs reached Paris yet?
Any checksums from the ones in hand?
Written the first M/L program yet?

What's been happening?

Have those ROMs reached Paris yet?
Any checksums from the ones in hand?
Written the first M/L program yet?

Mike,
No sense in sending anything to Paris until checking for bad ROMs first. "Kill two birds with one stamp".

But what about Alex in Italy?

My friend in Italy will send me his chips some time next week. We'll see if Stèphane conducts any testing on his own or waits for the post office to open again after the "fall break" and sends me the lot.

Hi,

I am reading this great book : "ML_for_the_C64_and_Other_Commodore_Computers".
Finally I have found an easy approach to ML for beginners.This guy really excels in teaching complicated concepts with simple words, and a very progressive approach.

I have the feeling that I finally understand what is being discussed in this thread since a few posts ;). Also this book demystifies what seemed to me as an impossible challenge to overcome at first look.

Well, I would not say that I am already a programmer :D (far from that); let's say that I now understand the main concepts. It will take a little more time before I feel confident with the language.

That's the occasion to thank you again for your great advices and kindness.

My postal office finally reopened yesterday. I have packaged the ROMs, ready to go to your place, Anders. You should receive them soon.

I could determine the faulty ROM might be the EEPROM (D8 ) as the sum does not fit with the reference value.

For the moment, I use VICE as a learning platform. I sometimes start the PET ; the screen remains in perfect working condition.

Stéphane.

Hi,
I am reading this great book : "ML_for_the_C64_and_Other_Commodore_Computers".
Finally I have found an easy approach to ML for beginners.This guy really excels in teaching complicated concepts with simple words, and a very progressive approach.
Yeah, he was a remarkable guy who really had the knack of explaining things in a way that anyone could understand; you can't read about Commodore or other computers of the day very much without running across the name Jim Butterfield on one of his many articles, hints & tips, memory maps, etc.

He and I worked together on a number of educational TV programs about computing back in the 80s and early 90s, including the fairly successful internationally Bits and Bytes series, and by all accounts they were pretty effective; unfortunately I don't think any of them have been released and you'll probably only find a few excerpts here and there. Still somewhat relevant today, and lots of fun seeing the old hardware in action:

http://www.tvarchive.ca/database/16376/bits_and_bytes/details/

It was quite a loss to the vintage community when Jim passed away a few years ago...

Last edited:
I haven't even browsed the VCF for some time, but just like a good-ol-bird-dog I sniffed the air-waves there was a disturbance there, and it said Mike Stein~~~ Bits and Bytes~~~Luba Goy~~~Video Tapes, Video Tapes. So what happened to the tapes ? Do you see yourself like a Colonel Tom Parker resurrecting a failed commodity, and time can be on your side ? An art collector who found a Picasso and is waiting until the time is right ?

I remember seeing Billy Van outside the Parliament St Liquor store in The BIG Smoke many moons ago more likely years, and suggesting in this newer, IT aware society, Bits and Bytes could make a great musical stage show. We chuckled over that, but perhaps that's why you are holding out. Mike Stein PRESENTS: A Computer Fantasy !! >> "BITS and BYTES" <<

AFAIK and last I heard TVO was jealously sitting on them, although rumour has it that there is a set of DVDs of the first B&B circulating out there somewhere... ;-)
Let me see what I can find...

A musical, eh... off-Broadway of course... then B&B the movie... intriguing... do you still have your contacts in the music world, Lawrence?

We'll need financing; Pink Floyd helped finance some Monty Python films, so maybe we can find someone similar to finance our extravaganza...

Last edited:
Back