• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Rant

Super-Slasher

Experienced Member
I'm pretty frustrated right now. After trying to get 40 486 motherboards working a month before, and now trying 4 motherboards which were pulled apparently working pulls... and they wont work!!!

Is it me? I've had no troubles like this before. I've tried different processors (I got about 20 of them), double, triple, quadruple-chucking all jumper settings... nothing. No boots, just odd speaker noises which just seem to be no code I've ever heard of or can look up. Tried different cases, power supply, cables, you name it.

Are 486 this finiky? If so, I think I'll stick to 286's. I had less heartaches setting up my IBM PC AT from scratch.

Even if you used bad memory you should get a beep for that, so I assume you have a processor problem. Most 486/80 or faster processors (intel 486/100 being an exception) are 3.x voltage processors (66 and slower are 5 volt) so not every motherboard can use those processors. Check to make sure your not shorting the motherboard to ground by mistake (a metal standoff in the wrong place would do it). Bad cache will also keep the thing from booting so check to make sure the jumpers for it at set correctly.

Probably there's an excess of Kozmick Debris falling out of the sky lately. I've been having the same kinda luck myself the last few weeks. Nothing seems to work, even though it was working when stored.

--T

Well could be something created static during the winter and zapped your pile of boards. Were they stored in antistatic bags?

Back