• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Rarity guide

Kaptain Skitzo

Experienced Member
On the edge of Sanity, just outside the border.
Does anyone know of a rarity guide for Commodore or Amiga software? I've done a google search, but didn't find anything related to what I'm looking for.

I'm curious about the rarity of a specific title, mostly...curious about others, but it's "Weird Dreams" for the C=64 that I am most interested in. I have one, NIB, with the shrinkwrap still on it. I'm wondering if it might be worth something.

I'm afraid that rarity guides mostly exist for cartridge software, and Weird Dreams was a disk/tape game (I own it too, but not shrinkwrapped).

On eBay UK, there currently is one copy for sale, starting at £5 ($8.85) and no bids yet. Two sellers in the US has the same game for PC and Atari ST, buy-it-now at $20 each. The latter is a mint, sealed box.

I've been selling of my Commodore C16 and Plus/4 collection on ebay (i did'nt want to, but needs must :cry: ). I've had a dozen or so games go for between £10-£25. I recently sold Petch by Anirog, which was had multiple versions on the cassette - C16 & Plus/4 and 64 - for £39 !!

Its difficult to know whats rare in my experience, all you need on ebay is two bidders who want your item and are prepared to pay ! :)

Retro Gamer

Retro Gamer

£39 for a Commodore cassette?!

well done ;)

Retro Gamer magazine has a column called auction watch, some really nutty prices turn up there now and again.

It amazing what people will pay for stuff. ;)

You think £39 is a lot? Try Ultima: Escape from Mt Drash, an obscure game for the VIC-20. Boxed sets have been sold on eBay for up to $3600, and loose tapes (!) at least $700. The few owners of this title are very restrictive with taking pictures of the box art, or distributing the software at all. A single-filed version is available on the FTP site, but not the actual TAP image for obvious reasons.

On the other hand, that is a title only known to exist in a handful complete sets, and maybe 10-15 including the loose tapes. No idea how many once were sold, and the fact that Ultima stuff itself is highly collectable, despite the game itself is crap and has little in common with the Ultima series, raises the value further. There was a guy who posted the same message once every week in a Usenet newsgroup, offering $250 for a copy before the first copy emerged around year 2000 or so.

A few people who have seen my stuff for sale have emailed me to ask whether i have Novagen's Mercenary. In fact, I have the double pack of Mercenary & The Second City, and it features dual versions for the Commodore 64 and Plus/4. Plus at the time, i also sent off for the Targ Survival Kit, which comprised of data sheets, colour map and a novelette for use with the game. I reckon if i were to sell it, i could beat my £39 .... i have'nt seen it come up yet on ebay since i been a member.

Don't think it'll reach the hundreds tho, let alone the thousands ! :p

I also have a couple of Jeff Minter items (Remember him ? - his games were great) that i think may go well ... Psychedelia and Voidrunner/Hellgate. But we'll see.

Back