• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Raytheon VAX Model 860

maxfli

Experienced Member
Does anyone know if you can get parts for the Raytheon VAX Model 860?

I found one on ebay but there aren't any components with it, like the CPU, memory etc. I tried googling it and stuff but can't find much info on it, other than it is basically a DEC VAX 6000/200 in a military spec case. I was also looking for manuals on the system and what the connections on the front are for.

Looks like a nice enclosure [possibly HEMP] but as a VAX with no boards and no power supply well, it's not much of a candidate for rehabilitation. Kind of a dragon by the tail.

Still, it's a relic that would be a shame to lose or destroy. The shipping / storage container is obviously built to purpose too. I'd guess that unit cost more than the boards that filled it.

There's some guy on youtube who discusses the boards that go to that enclosure but I doubt you'll be able to pry those from his cold stiff fingers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55z_0BYb5is
Looks right... definitely space hardware.

Maybe he'd be an interested buyer for the enclosure?

Update: Actually, I think that's the very enclosure see his site

Thanks to Jim Lanzafane for the following info :

Memories... Thats hardware I designed in the 1980's. It is part of the Military Vax Computer system (MILVAX). We took DECs full size multi cabinet VAX computer, repackaged all the electronics into hermetic ceramic surface mount devices, and double sided conduction cooled modules, all in a USAF ATR chassis. It ended up in everything from JSTARS aircraft, US Space shuttle payload experiments, and missile silos. I will look and see if I have scans of the original sales material and email you. Still have the prototype modules and unpopulated PCBs. And YES, VERY EXPENSIVE, even in 1980s dollars..

Last edited:
He clearly needs to cut down on the coffee. That was hard to watch. It was like watching some have a seizure while showing off circuit boards.

I have to agree with you on that. Too much flipping boards over and back.

Yes, it ran VMS. I'll look for the sales booklet. Still have a few 860s hanging around at the office.

"hanging around" - Are they running?

I thought these VAX machines where build to be run in the field, either a space shuttle or air craft. Why would you have one in an office?

Back