• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Reading Signetics PLS153N PALs? (Also an AMPAL16R4APC)

acadiel

Experienced Member
I have some Signetics PALs that I need read, and my programmer doesn't support them. I also have an AMPAL16R4APC.

Does anyone know how I can get read some PLS153N (if the fuses support it)? My 844USB and my TL866 don't support them.

If the fuses are blown, are there any reverse engineer/brute force ways with an Arduino or Raspberry Pi that can try all the input/output combos and try to suss the equations out?

Thanks!

Last edited:
The PLS153 is a combinatorial device (i.e. no memory). So yes, you can suss the equations out. I posted a blog here some years ago on how to do this nothing more than a PC parallel port and a bit of random logic.

Otherwise, find someone with an older PROM programmer that supports these devices. I think my old Xeltek Superpro does, for example, but I haven't had it out in years.

If the fuses are blown, are there any reverse engineer/brute force ways with an Arduino or Raspberry Pi that can try all the input/output combos and try to suss the equations out?
I did that to test the replacement PAL against one that wasn't working quite right. For the registered device its not going to get you proper equations. The registers can be preloaded with special procedure of applying high voltage to pins to get the equations. I got things working before I needed to try to do that.

http://www.pdp8online.com/TI/ti-portable-professional.shtml

I have a Unisite that supports most of those old devices.

I got a Dataman programmer that was able to read them. Expensive, but worth it for retro stuff in the future. The PLS153 ones can't be protected either, so we're good there too!

Back