• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recently acquired a beautiful, mysterious Toshiba T3200SXC

wowbobwow

Experienced Member
I recently traded some large vintage gear for a few small(er) vintage items, which is how I ended up with this gorgeous Toshiba T3200SXC. The machine is in incredible shape overall, but sadly it won't power on - when I flip the switch, the Power LED flickers for just a moment, and then nothing. Based on the age of the machine and the behavior, I'm assuming the capacitors in the power supply have failed and need to be replaced, along with the BIOS backup battery pack. If anyone has a spare working power supply for one of these machines, I'd sure be interested, but I'd be just as grateful for a "shopping list" of capacitors I'll need to order!

kmp2zvftz0781.jpg

Also, here's the mysterious bit: I was re-assembling the machine last night and noticed that there's a card in one of the ISA slots. I couldn't resist pulling it to see what it was, and I'm surprised by what I found: This is a "PC5000" card by "Touch Technology Inc.", connected via a 5-pin cable that runs into the machine (can't yet see the other end). There's hardly anything about this card on Google, and the handful of pics only show a variation with an external jack. What is this thing?! I'm guessing it's some kind of touchscreen controller, but if that's the case, it strongly implies that this Toshiba T3200SXC is equipped with a touch-sensitive display, which (if true) is awesome - I can't wait to get this machine working and figure it all out!

rGmSQdg.jpg

For anyone interested in more details about this machine, I just concluded a Twitter thread with lots more pics and details which can be found here

I took one of these Toshibas (which also didn't work) apart and the large caps on the power board were leaking. I replaced the leaking ones but flipping it on still doesn't work. What does work though, is turning on the PSU and then connecting the cable to the motherboard. It went from not working at all, to that. I wonder what the issue is with mine. Maybe the fact that I didn't replace every single capacitor (if they weren't leaking).

Interestingly, the Philips chip on that board is a fully integrated CPU/microcontroller.

Nice to see that touchscreen controller installed on this Toshiba, but genuine Toshiba LCD is not a touch screen so need a digitalizer installed in front of the lcd to generate desired functionallity. Have you double-check if it has a digitalizer?

Back