• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recommendations for affordable computer/tablet mathematical software

krebizfan

Veteran Member
Calculator style software has been going through a trend of large visual buttons with only a small effective target which results in my frequently missing the button. I have been using emulations of older calculators since while the visual buttons appears smaller, the actual target is larger. Any recommendations for similar software that is relatively easy to use but takes advantage of the capabilities of a computer or tablet will be greatly appreciated.

I know about the high end tools. For software that I expect to use once a month, the prices too high. Wolfram Alpha would require more time learning than I anticipate using.

Desmos has free graphing and scientific calculators. I haven't tried the apps but the online versions work well.

ٌwhat level of mathematics you are looking for:

1- engineering calculations i.e. Sin(), Tan(), x^y,...
2- calculus i.e. linear algebra, integrals, differentials
3- curve drawings...

ٌwhat level of mathematics you are looking for:

1- engineering calculations i.e. Sin(), Tan(), x^y,...
2- calculus i.e. linear algebra, integrals, differentials
3- curve drawings...
Yes to all of them but 90% of my usage would be handled by any normal scientific calculator. A graphing calculator that wasn't designed for the handheld calculator form would be ideal. The N-Spire and Prime emulators have every function I could expect to use but finding the right one requires scrolling through a lot of small menus. The desktop/tablet program should be able to make use of a larger screen to make functions easier to locate.

I have no problem using two or more programs for different problem sets. I prefer ones that work offline since I am frequently in locations with no internet.

Last edited:
You might want to try Maple Calculator (free);
It might have an online version too.
Maple (on Android) has an interesting UI bug that makes it very difficult for me to hit items in the pop-up menus for functions. Funny in a way. Maple won't recognize my dragging on the screen to pick up an item while Free42 is convinced I am dragging across the screen and repeats whatever character I try to enter. Time to accept I am too old to have the reflexes of a grad student programmer.

I think you can also handwrite the math expression you have, and
feed a photo of that to Maple for calculation. If you tried it,
please let me know how it works out....

Back