• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Reelmagic MPEG Software

DonutKing

Experienced Member
I have a Sigma Designs Reelmagic MPEG decoder card working in my 386.

Currently I only have the ReelMagic version of Return to Zork to run on it.

I am now looking for any other ReelMagic MPEG games. These are not the standard versions of the games, they are specifically written for the ReelMagic cards. The Return to Zork copy I have didn't come in a box, it was only in a jewel case, but it had a ReelMagic logo on the front.

Some games that were written for ReelMagic cards include:
(from Wikipedia)

Under a Killing Moon - Access Software
Gabriel Knight
Escape from Cybercity
Kings Quest VI - Sierra Online
Dragon's Lair
Police Quest IV - Sierra Online
The Lord of the Rings - Interplay

(from reelmagic FAQ)

Police Quest 4
Man Enough
Dragon's Lair
Video Cube-Space
SoundTrack
Space Ace
The Lord of the Rings

I have also heard that the games 'The 7th Guest' and 'The 11th Hour' were available in ReelMagic versions but have been unable to confirm.

I am willing to buy any Reelmagic games or software (including demo discs) that might be available.

FWIW, the DVD version of Wing Commander IV is essentially a ReelMagic game. The card it was packaged with was the Creative DXR2, a ReelMagic clone. The game has been proven to run on both platforms.

Interesting news to me about the Gabriel Knight, KQ6, and Police Quest IV games. This is the first I've ever heard of these games having alternate editions specifically for ReelMagic.

Something else to track down for the collection....

Something else to track down for the collection....

Support may have been proposed, but I don't believe that any of the Sierra stuff made it out the door. Furthermore, the "screenshot comparison" of Police Quest IV on the ReelMagic box is a complete fabrication, and neither King's Quest VI nor Gabriel Knight were FMV-based. Had FMV versions been released, it's not really something Sierra would have kept a secret.

You'd probably have better luck tracking down the Tandy VIS version of King's Quest V, which, while never sold, actually did exist.

Interesting about WC4 DVD. Looking at wikipedia, it used Window's media player to stream to a hardware DVD decoder - so it didn't really care what type of DVD decoder you had, as long as Windows could see/use it.
I presume DOS games must instead be written specifically for ReelMagic.

I found a copy of 'The Horde' on ebay, which had the Reelmagic logo on the front of the disc.

There's plenty of copies of The Lord of the Rings, Under a Killing Moon and Dragon's Lair but none of them have the Reelmagic logo. I presume that these games aren't normally MPEG based and so the Reelmagic versions (if they exist) would be labeled as such.

I won't bother looking for the Sierra titles :)

The Reelmagic ISA card is an MPEG1 decoder, usually allowing for Video CD resolutions like 352x240, 352x288, or 320x240. The Reelmagic Hollywood Plus PCI card is an MPEG2 decoder and allows for DVD Video resolutions like 720x480 and 720x576. The standards themselves allow for higher resolutions, but the media available at the time was more limited.

Does anyone have any info on the Lord of the Rings game for the Reelmagic? I have the old dos version is it the same?

Back