• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Remington Rand and Burroughs badges?

Sperry also bought Varian's minicomputer line and sold it for a while. Also PERTEC.
I have some docs up on bitsavers, but the product crossovers get very confusing.

More photos. After pulling it out of the display case and looking it over,
it's clearly a Burroughs piece, which means Remington Rand markings are asset tags.
Note the Burroughs inspection tag dated 1957 over perhaps a manufacture stamp of the same year.
Now what Burroughs equipment is this from is the question!
Perhaps ElectroData component? 1957 is around the acquisition.
I'm asking around Burroughs history sites.
Another question would be why did Remington Rand have it?
Evaluation study?
This unit was acquired, I think, from a PA or NJ Ham Fest a long time ago.

Last edited:
You might be on to something.
From here: http://www.burroughsinfo.com/history-by-burroughs-june-1983.html

John C. Coleman, who was credited with working out the system for mass production of the Norden bombsight, became president of the Company in 1946. Under Coleman's leadership, the decision was made to begin a full program of electronic research, and in 1949 permanent facilities for electronic research and development were established near Philadelphia. Three years later, an Electronic Instrument Division was established in that city to manufacture and market scientific instruments and electronic memory components and systems.

The manufacturing tag says "Burroughs Instrumentation Division". I'm forming the idea that there might be a host of Burroughs products outside mechanical and computers... maybe this kind of component was for custom lab use. We have another rack mount box which I'll detail and post.

BINGO! (I Think- mentions "pulse control units" including "flip flop".

Speaking of those competing small systems, just before the merger in 1985, I went head-to-head with my Burroughs Convergient Technologies /Burroughs B-20 microcomputer systems against a Unisys Minicomputer. We had to complete a trial of a bunch of Cobol programs. They ran the programs serially on the mini. We ran programs on three different computers in a "cluster", sharing the drive on one of the computers passing output data from one program into other programs, often overlapping the processing, and handily beat the minicomputer. Burroughs won that contract. :)

Back