• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

"removable disc/cartridge" SCSI drives that can act as a fixed disk drive

Clay. Stone. Sumerian missives can still be located and translated which is a longevity not even paper can match.

I was going to add "stone" to the list, but thought better of it.

The problem there is extremely low information density. The other problem is that we can get the gist of ancient missives, but rarely understand the subtleties of them. After all, we don't think with the ancient brains or live in their culture.

But consider the announcement of Mitsui/MAM-A CD-R media, projecting a 300 year retention. Does anyone really believe that a CD-R will endure for 300 years today?

And scientific consensus blinds us constantly, in this case assuming that ancient minds were primitive.

I know my Pinnacle Micro Sierra 1.3GB is 1024 bytes/sector but it will also work with the 512 bytes/sector media that DOS wants.

The interesting thing about records/LP/etc is that it really doesn't take much to play them back. Just look at the acoustic era with the RCA Victrola and Edison Amberola machines. Wax and plastic cylinders and shellac disks played back with little more than a needle of various types vibrating a diaphragm and amplified by a large horn. Nothing electrical and the most complex part of the machine was the spring wound motor. I'd think it'd be fairly easy to any advanced civilization to figure out how to read them.
The more I read, the more I seem to recall about our old drive. I believe it was compatible with 512, 1024, and 2048 sectored media, although read-only for either the 1024 or both 1024 and 512.

True, but my point is not that it is impossible to read the data back, but that because the formats of removable media change, the ability to quickly read them back can vary greatly.

Oh, I don't know about that. 1/2" magnetic tape on open reels has proved to be a very durable medium. Lately, I've been working with tapes that are more than 50 years old quite successfully.

Got anything else that's more than 50 years old for data storage? Paper, maybe?

Do you really expect data stashed in the cloud to be around in 50 years? I have trouble finding stuff on the net written 5 years ago.

For example
I think the problem with cloud data is that it is being deleted. And this is a greater problem than actual data loss as the information could have existed from a technological standpoint. I agree that I can't find things online from 10 years ago, and this seems to be a growing problem as the history of mankind turns to digital and online media as a repository. Imagine if mankind only remembers the last 20 years or only what it wants to remember?
Look at the date on that tape. Know any other data storage medium that lasts 50 years and isn't paper?

Samir claims that "tape never made it as a long term archive medium".

That tape was already 10 years old when Voyager 1 was launched--and it's quite readable today.
I didn't claim that tape never made it as a long term archive medium in the past, just that it isn't as viable today and hence why retrieval of data on tapes does require specialized equipment (that was once probably pretty standard).

Really amazing to see an old reel of computer tape--especially with 'Memorex' on it. Memorex CDRs have a 1:10 failure rate in our application, lol.
Clay. Stone. Sumerian missives can still be located and translated which is a longevity not even paper can match.

Some of the modern storage methods should last for centuries barring fire or explosion. But a tricky format that only works on a single model of drive is a bad idea for storage. I know companies that preferred the manufacturer suggested special format and now have no easy way to read the data back. Getting 10% more data on disc or tape is not worth the aggravation of vendor lock-in.
And this was kinda more my point in that while the media is obviously lasting, the lack of drives effectively makes the media (and the overall format) less valuable.
I was going to add "stone" to the list, but thought better of it.

The problem there is extremely low information density. The other problem is that we can get the gist of ancient missives, but rarely understand the subtleties of them. After all, we don't think with the ancient brains or live in their culture.

But consider the announcement of Mitsui/MAM-A CD-R media, projecting a 300 year retention. Does anyone really believe that a CD-R will endure for 300 years today?
That's an interesting question. I have several Mitsui media that are now over 10 years old and read back as well as the day they were written. I also have some of the original Sony and other branded CDR media (that cost $11-12/ea at the time), and wonder if they will read back (haven't tried yet). I think the media will definitely survive as long as the tape that Chuck(G) shared, and probably a bit longer. The question is if a drive that works will be around to read the media.

Really amazing to see an old reel of computer tape--especially with 'Memorex' on it. Memorex CDRs have a 1:10 failure rate in our application, lol.
And this was kinda more my point in that while the media is obviously lasting, the lack of drives effectively makes the media (and the overall format) less valuable.
That's an interesting question.

If the information is valuable and it survives, someone will find a way to read it.

Memorex underwent a drastic change after the Burroughs/Unisys/Tandy musical chairs episode. 1980s 1/2" Memorex tape (e.g. MRX IV) was cheap and terrible. It's known for "sticky shed" issues and can be a real pain in the *ss. Earlier Memorex tapes are fine, as the ghost of Ella Fitzgerald would probably testify.

I have several Mitsui media that are now over 10 years old and read back as well as the day they were written. I also have some of the original Sony and other branded CDR media (that cost $11-12/ea at the time), and wonder if they will read back (haven't tried yet). I think the media will definitely survive as long as the tape that Chuck(G) shared, and probably a bit longer. The question is if a drive that works will be around to read the media.

I've got older Mitsui "gold" media that's probably closer to 20 years old. Since I almost never go back to check my old CD-Rs, I don't know if they've survived. I do remember that it was expensive. Again, if the medium has valuable information and has survived intact, it can be read if there's a will to do so, even if one has to build a drive from scratch.

My old CDRs seem to be fine when I bother to check them. I also burned a couple individually wrapped in a CD jewel case 4x CDR purchased back in the day when I was in the lab and needed to burn something and was too lazy to hit my room for a spool, they worked fine.

I have a number of old storage media that I trot out once a year or so to test if the data is still good. 10 year flash drives which keep data but newer flash drives seem to lose data in a year or less. 15 year old CDRs of which a small percent have flaws in the coating that makes them look pockmarked and fail to read.

I am surprised at how fast memory card readers drop support for older standards. New readers with support for xD became scarce before xD cards had finished moving through the supply chain. I am more used to the floppy or tape progression when it was relatively easy to get new devices to read the old storage 5, even 10, years after it fades from production.

One thing that I've always been bothered about with CDs is that data is recorded in a spiral, rather than concentric tracks, as in a hard disk. While I can appreciate the design for audio use, the idea of "you don't know where you are unless you know where you've been" seems to make CDs with small flaws in them totally unusuable. Perhaps there is software out there to navigate over bad spots, but I'm not aware of it.

...One thing that I've always been bothered about with CDs is that .....

My problem with the CD world is the CD driver! I like the
idea that you insert a diskette inside a computer, and
the rest of the mechanical chore is done without your
intervention. I don't like to see a piece of hardware
sticking its flimsy tongue at me, so that I place a puny
piece of plastic on it to get some information! How do you
feel if you had to remove the inner magnetic softy out of
the sleeve to shove it inside the floppy disk driver!?

ziloo :mrgreen:

My problem with the CD world is the CD driver! I like the
idea that you insert a diskette inside a computer, and
the rest of the mechanical chore is done without your
intervention. I don't like to see a piece of hardware
sticking its flimsy tongue at me, so that I place a puny
piece of plastic on it to get some information! How do you
feel if you had to remove the inner magnetic softy out of
the sleeve to shove it inside the floppy disk driver!?

ziloo :mrgreen:

You don't have to have a tray optical drive. There were caddy drives where a whole cartridge is inserted. Other drives had lids that lifted up and the disc placed directly on the center ring. The latter were a bit inconvenient in a traditional PC case.

There was a type of floppy drive that required removing the cookie from its sleeve. Meet the Olivetti minidisk and be in awe. One thing the web page does not show is that the serial number on one side of the disk was stamped which prevents using that side for data.

http://www.computerhistory.it/index...:olivetti-minidisk&catid=82:floppy&Itemid=134
http://www.obsoletemedia.org/olivetti-minidisc/

I'm late to this thread, but I'd like to second the Megneto Optical drives. I use them extensively on my Macs. I have two 3.5" 2.3GB Fujitsue MO drives.

I loved caddy-based CD drives--they were superior in every way except cost, so they lost out. :(

Back