• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Removal of 10Mbps Ethernet support

yuhong

Experienced Member
With NBase-T, manufacturers are beginning to remove 10Mbps Ethernet support.

Huh, so this is something intermediate between 1gig and 10gig, from the little bit of reading I just did...why would we need that? 10gig hardware is pretty cheap nowadays.

Does the NIC in your 5150 connect to a 10 gig switch?

In fact it does...obviously not on the 10gig ports (there are only two anyway, and they're in use), but yes, it's talking through a 10baseT AUI transceiver to one of the 1gig ports in a Cisco 3560E. Works fine, unlike some of the cheaper 1gig switches that don't seem to like it (not sure if it's the 10baseT or the half duplex they don't like). So, in that sense, some manufacturers have already "dropped" 10baseT support!

But anyway, what's a 5150's Ethernet capability have to do with why do we need an intermediate speed with a slightly incompatible standard, when 10gig is established and available?

You mean keeping those 10/100Mb switches. ;) I keep a few 10/100 switches around plus have a 48 port one in use along with 10/100/1000 switches ( 2 8 port ones since the larger ones are still expensive).

The only reason to keep a 10Mb hub around is if you want to use coax and have a coax + Ethernet hub to bridge networks.

Some people have said they have issues with some old Ethernet equipped machines on new auto negotiating switches.

I have my older computers behind a router on my network. It's amazing what you can do with a managed gig switch.

Huh, so this is something intermediate between 1gig and 10gig, from the little bit of reading I just did...why would we need that? 10gig hardware is pretty cheap nowadays.

It is about the Ethernet cable I believe, especially support for Cat5e and Cat6 cables already installed.

It is about the Ethernet cable I believe, especially support for Cat5e and Cat6 cables already installed.

Yes. 10GBaseT is only supported to 55M on cat6, where 5G nbaset is supported to 100M on cat5e and cat6.

Back