• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Replacement Label for Commodore 8050 Disk Drive

Nivag Swerdna

Veteran Member
Does anyone know which fonts were used for the disk drive labels? Are there reproductions available?

Capture.JPG

The label on my drive is covered in drizzle from a poor paint spray job by a previous owner.

I'm getting there... there are slight gaps but probably close enough

Capture.JPG

I'm not sure if the Logo on the left is meant to have straight or slightly curved edges?

It seems the label is actually Black printed on a shiny material which is in turn backed with a white material which is itself sticky. Does anyone know anything about these printing processes? In particular how would I describe the 'silver' colour to a print shop? Maybe rather than 'silver' it is some kind of 'metallic grey'??
Thanks in advance.

I think Commodore used a variety different types of labels and processes, like everything else they did. I recently reproduced the label for my PET and had them printed by stickerapp.com. I was pretty happy with the result. It seems that for a shiny label their "mirror sticker" product might work well: https://stickerapp.com/material/mirror-stickers/.

The label I reproduced was originally a thick, textured plastic material. I used their vinyl floor sticker material and the result was a pretty good match for my original label, both in appearance and in feel. Here's a photo:
sticker.jpg

I also used their "brushed aluminum" material to reproduce the model/serial number stickers and various warning labels. The material isn't a perfect match (there are striae in the texture in one direction rather than a uniform texture), but it's pretty good and vastly better than the badly damaged original stickers.

Greg

Edit: Here's my artwork if anyone is interested. The magenta line is where the sticker was to be cut:
View attachment Case_sticker1_cutline.pdf

Last edited:
Very nice. I have some on order from colour frog... who I think are actually stickersinternational.co.uk. Fingers crossed.

They came in and the letters are beautifully shiny. I had to order eight as that was their minimum quantity... so I have some spares...

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Capture3.JPG

Back