• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Replacement monitor CRT Tube

leaknoil

Experienced Member
I don't really know where else to post this so here may work. I have a monitor that there is very little chance of finding another of and it is very burned in. I was thinking replacing the CRT out of something else that used a compatible one would be my best shot. A new one would be great but, I doubt that will happen.

Anyway, I looked inside and this is what the label says:

Motorola
TYPE 12ST5449P40D
PART 96S2500B28

Google just brings up a couple of the Asian part pages that basically have every part number ever listed on them and ask you to ask for a quote even though they don't have them and never did.

One did reference it as a 12STU-E which doesnt come up on google. It is a 12" tube though.

It was made in 1980 in Bose Idaho if that helps. I'm sure it doesn't but, it's fun to remember when we actually made things like computers and crts in the US.

I guess what I am after is what else is compatible and what I might find it in.

You didn't say if the monitor was monochrome or color; finding a replacement jug for a color monitor can be daunting, but if it's monochrome, it shouldn't be a big problem--most mono CRTs are very similar.

At any rate, the CNC community keeps their equipment around for a long time (you would too, if you invested $200K in a machine). So there are a lot of places specializing in repair of old systems (FWIW, a lot of the old CNC controllers are CP/M-based).

If you're stateside, try these folks to start with

Sorry its mono. Probably fairly high resolution for the time as well and probably not cheap. Its from that 860 I mentioned in the other thread. It works ok but, its dim and badly burned in.

Many monochrome tereminal tubes are very similar, and roughly compatible. The 12" monochrome tube being perhaps the most common. They were used in all manner of computer terminals over the years, and a lot of them are pretty much the same. In fact, I've repaired terminals with broken/bad tubes in the past by swapping in the tube from a 12" black and white television set.

The primary differences you have to look for is the neck size and pin count, and the physical mounting ears. Also, the heater voltage (usually 6.3v), and various other electrical characteristics - but again, I've had pretty good luck swapping tubes around. I even converted a black and white TV set to color! (green is a color). I swapped the tube from a junked 5151 monitor into a TV I'd raided for it's tube. It worked fine, and I created the world's only Zenith TV set with WordPerfect screen burn. It was really weird to watch TV on that long persistence phosphor too...

In the case of your Xerox, I'd probably hold off on replacing the picture tube just yet, unless it's really bad. Screen burn is a fact of life with these old machines, and unless it's really terrible, I usually leave it alone. You might also be able to get more life out of the tube by "rejuvinating" it with a picture tube tester, to brighten up the picture.

-Ian

Sorry its mono. Probably fairly high resolution for the time as well and probably not cheap. Its from that 860 I mentioned in the other thread. It works ok but, its dim and badly burned in.

I wonder if the 860 shares the same tube as the 820. As others have said, if it's a conventionally-dimensioned 12" CRT, a replacement should be pretty simple.

All monochrome tubes are, at least, theoretically, high-resolution, as there's no shadow mask or aperture grille.

Back