• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Retro computing podcast suggestions

Carrington

As both a podcaster and a fan o' them, I'm always on the lookout for new ones to listen to. But iTunes isn't always the best place to find the hidden gems.

Anybody have any suggestions of good retro computing related podcasts that are a bit "under the radar", maybe something most of us wouldn't have heard of yet? I'm itching to add something new to my commute playlist.

I'd like to hear the group talk about differences between different groups of retrocomputing enthusiasts. That is, do Apple II people approach their old computers different than Commodore or Atari or Altair fans?

That's a great question.

Personally, I'm not a collector so much as a "re-experiencer" -- I'm just looking to play old games again, try out new things with old hardware, etc., but I don't hang on to much of it. I don't think I'm typical of retro computer enthusiasts, though.

From here inside the "Apple camp" of hobbyists, it seems that the grass is greener in the Democratic Republic of Commodore; there seems to be a larger community of chicken-heads (am I allowed to call them that? I'm probably going to anyway) than us Woz-mongers. More Commodore events, developers, podcasts, etc. I wonder if there is also a difference in how the respective hobbyist groups approach their hobby, or if it's just a matter of personal preference.

One thing that never seems to get mentioned is general tips & tricks for care & feeding of old computers. How to store them, any tips to keep floppy disks still working, getting rid of that horrible yellowing on plastics, etc. I want my gear to glisten!

K

I second the motion from K0d3g3ar. In fact, I think a shout-out to all the podcast listeners to send in tools and tips for retro preservation/restoration would be a great place to start. There's so much collective knowledge out there, and we could summarize some of it and make it a running conversation.

EE

I second the motion from K0d3g3ar. In fact, I think a shout-out to all the podcast listeners to send in tools and tips for retro preservation/restoration would be a great place to start. There's so much collective knowledge out there, and we could summarize some of it and make it a running conversation.

This might be a good place to start: http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Island:9099

Also the absolutely guru on the subject is a regular here on these forums - Lorne

K

Back