• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Roland, Diskettes, Retrobright and P4HT

PeterNC

Veteran Member
Since I replaced my Lenovo ThinkPad W520 machines for Lenovo ThinkCentre M93p machines I have been experiencing bad diskettes. Very strange. The diskettes format just fine on the AST Advantage Bravo. But after I copy files from the M93p in my guest room I always get a read error. Will try with a Pentium 4 HT (HP Compaq) that I rescued from bulk pickup earlier today (came with monitor, keyboard and mouse).

I also tried retrobrighting the AST Advantage Bravo with just hydroperoxide from CVS. Which worked to an extent. I then bought Tide laundry detergent powder. Now I have spots where the front fascia plastic is restored but also spots where it is not. Left it out in the FL sun for almost a day. Got burned myself as I fell asleep on Saturday after swimming: rookie mistake.

Another weird thing is that I have a Roland MT-100 but it sounds different from my recollection of LAPC-Is, CM-500s, MT-32s and CM-32Ls. Was able to get a MT-32 for a reasonable price on Facebook Marketplace yesterday so I will compare once the MT-32 arrives.

I also have an Edirol SC-88 Pro that definitely sounds different from other Sound Canvas units from my recollection. An eBay seller accepted a low offer on an Edirol SC-88VL. Supposedly that is a regular SC-88 in a different format. Bid on a SC-55ST but it went too high. Strange how prices for this stuff all over the place.

Will have to spend time finding my Windows XP CD-ROM to install it fresh on the HP Compaq Pentium 4 HT. Also need to find a little table to put it on my guest room. Since bulk pickup did not come yet today (it should have) I may still find something nice. Got a really great couch from bulk for the office yesterday. Perfect for console gaming. With evictions and foreclosures ramping up slowly in FL there will likely be tons more stuff available. Upside of a gated community: first dibs.

Also got another M93p in today: with an i5 instead of i7. An eBay seller accepted a low offer on a M93p with an i7 so will try to sell the i5. Always challenging to find local buyers where I live. Especially since I live quite far from built up areas.

Started playing Hero's Quest (Quest for Glory 1): such a great game. The music and sound effects work great with the MT-100. With Lotus The Ultimate Challenge and Silpheed I feel it sounds off. Should try Thexder II as well I think. Plus I will have to research how to get SimAnt to work with the MT-100. I got the font fixed. For some reason with the PCI VGA I have in it it has font issues. Had to download a TSR to fix that.

Last edited:
Got the MT-32 today. Drove 30 minutes each way to Sam Ash to get the wrong cable. Turns out a CT2290 I had is dead. The line in on a ESS1868 only plays one channel. Connected headphones to the MT-32 but the volume is quite low. Ordered a coupling on Amazon to see if routing it through a SC-88 Pro might help.

Also patched the BIOS of my M93ps: easy for four with a bootable PC-DOS CD: Convoluted for another one.

No. Early model with only L and R outputs. Finally figured it out. Works great.

Turns out the NIB diskette labels (Avery) that I bought cheap on eBay are so old the glue has disintegrated. Not the seller's fault obviously. This stuff is getting really old (like I am).

Back