• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Rs badges for the model 3 and 4

Jay Newirth

Experienced Member
I have designed a badge for the case of the model 3 and 4 that i would like opinions on

1. Would you put this "newer" badge on your existing system
2. Would you. Be willing to pay for them
3. Do you think its a viable option

I AM ALSO WORKING ON ONE FOR THE MODEL 4D AND 4P (??). I DON'T KNOW IF THE 4P IS A REMOVABLE LABEL - WILL CHECK IT OUT
ALSO I HAVE SENT OFF TEMPLATES FOR "64K" AND "128K" MEMORY BADGES TO DUPLICATE THE ONES ON THE ORIGINAL MACHINE.

ALL THE WORK I HAVE DONE HAS PRODUCED BADGES AS CLOSE TO THE ORIGINAL ONES USED BY RADIO SHACK
THANKS VERY MUCH

Many thanks for this idea!

My opinion:

1. Yes, if the original badge would be missing. (on my TRS-80s they are luckily still in place)
2. Depends on the price.
3. A. Yes, if it's a sticker.
3. B. Yes, if it is not a sticker but has a thicker layer that wouldn't shrivel after adhered on the case with a household glue.

Household glues or glues in general are often containing solvents that are agessive to thin plastic foils. And if the glue on the back surface of the badge is not smoothed out properly then the badge would not be smooth on it's front surface. That would be ugly.

Would you produce the badges?
From which material would be the badge?
Is the lettering persistend against mild cleaning agents if cleaning the case from time to time?

The badge that you designed has some slightly variations from the original. Is this intended?
I would prefer a design that's closer to the original in the details (or in contrast a design complete different and new :shock:).

As far as I remember there was already an attempt in this forum to produce memory badges (with a dome shape). What happened to that idea?

-Rainer

I have designed a badge for the case of the model 3 and 4 that i would like opinions on

1. Would you put this "newer" badge on your existing system
2. Would you. Be willing to pay for them
3. Do you think its a viable option

I AM ALSO WORKING ON ONE FOR THE MODEL 4D AND 4P (??). I DON'T KNOW IF THE 4P IS A REMOVABLE LABEL - WILL CHECK IT OUT
ALSO I HAVE SENT OFF TEMPLATES FOR "64K" AND "128K" MEMORY BADGES TO DUPLICATE THE ONES ON THE ORIGINAL MACHINE.

ALL THE WORK I HAVE DONE HAS PRODUCED BADGES AS CLOSE TO THE ORIGINAL ONES USED BY RADIO SHACK
THANKS VERY MUCH

The 4P is glued in the computer and clamp on the keyboard like the memory badges.

There is a font that is out there that should be more accurate, that font is just too off that it might affect your ability to recoup costs, since most machines have the logos still, the 4P seems to get beat up more due to its location.

Same thing with the memory badges, the logo. There are more models that use this logo, the keyboards on the Model II, 12, 16s, the color computers.

Also, the boxes are really rounded rectangles not ovals.

Great work on them thus far, but fonts and shapes are a distractor. As a collector it would affect the value if its too far off. Thats why even with FreHD/M3SEs people still buy the hard drives, they are original but certainly not better than a FreHD/M3SE.

Oh and the hard drives and printers use those. Now if you can get the font right, and make runs for all the different ones out there that look the same, you can replace lots of yellowed or buggered up ones. Printers, computers, hard drives, etc. Would even be cool to have a 42 Meg Hard Drive one for all of us who have ST-251-1s installed.

Trying to find the exact fonts used are like trying to find a needle in a haystack
so far the radio shack font is the only one i found

will continue to pursue this project - the badges will be "domed" labels with a self stick backing - visit domelabel.com for a view of what they could look like and the materials used

howard boettcher was the originator of this project with the memory badges - he as a posting on this blog - just look for it - he designed the memory badges and i have a source currently making a few for me to check out

he and i are in touch with each other and working to get this going[/ATTACH]View attachment 45807

Last edited:
If you can find fonts closer than what i have please let me know

right now i am using mac pages - and i am limited to designing shapes and fonts - any other software out there (not nec mac) that would be better to use?

Thanks

jay

If you can find fonts closer than what i have please let me know

right now i am using mac pages - and i am limited to designing shapes and fonts - any other software out there (not nec mac) that would be better to use?

Thanks

jay

Well the memory badges look pretty close, and this image is also using the right one, so its out there. Only took a few seconds to find that image. I am sure the person selling knows where they got it.

images.jpeg

This came from redbubble.com

I really, really appreciate this effort. We sorely need a good source of replacement badges.

However, I will say, these are not quite there yet. The font type and size is incorrect on the center and right text. I would want to see the clear plastic overlay as well. Keep working on it!

Oh - by no means is this even close !!!!
The "final" product will be a badge just like to current ones on the machine - a sticky label with a metabolized silver underlay and epoxied dome layer

I need help finding the font for the TRS-80 AND MODEL 4/MICROCOMPUTER PARTS OF THE LABEL
I KNOW THE LABEL SIZE AND WHAT MY CONTRAINTS ARE
I ALSO NEED TO USE A BETTER PIECE OF SOFTWARE OTHER THE PAGES (ON THE MAC)

JAY

This would be a metallized silver label (sticky) with a domed epoxy covering (visit domelabel.com for examples)
the label would definitely be cleanable

the badges would out-sourced if enough interest is there

right now i am limited by software and lack of fonts to make the badge 100% original - but working on it

this is in the rough stages of development

jay

When I was in contact with Howard, the memory badges were almost perfect. I had planned to shrink the actual domed part to the original size and have a glue-down metal carrier (unlike the original pinch down carrier in operation, but identical in looks) to supply with my Model 4 64K memory upgrade kits, but, reception was rather underwhelming and I dropped the project.

Back