• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Running TRSDOS on Z180 & eZ80

Is TRS-OS on Github, so as to be future-proofed?

That's every OS, tho. That's what an OS is: a collection of subroutines that run a computer. This is like saying something isn't a real car, just a collection of car parts. :p
Define your term future-proof?

That is interesting is my Yukon a truck or collection of Yukon parts? Interesting.

I can see it either way except.

Machines seems to have a life, a life that comes from its masters sweat. Some sweat is sweeter than others.

Thus I declare TRSDOS was built from sweet labors.

I also argue had IBM came calling to Misosys/Logical Systems they would have known exactly what to do and not screwed it up like Digital Systems.

Hope I have covered all bases but I need to drive my Yukon some more and think about new thoughts you have planted.

Please define your question about future-proof and I will expand on that.

Thank you very much, Daniel

A quick update. TRSDOS and Debian went on a date supervised by TRS-OS this week. They really hit it off.

Establishment of TRSDOS console session was quickly made and off they went chatting. TRS-OS reported they got along swimmingly well & made plans to go further.

TRSDOS seems to be dominate alpha of relationship as TRS-OS heard relationship requirements is that Debian share everything with TRSDOS.

Share it all. SD cards, sound, video window, mouse, keyboard.......everything. TRSDOS told Debian their relationship would be based on GET/PUT/CTL.

Currently their dates take place holding hands and shaking between Circle M Min-eZ & Raspberry Pi. In future they may use other vehicles to date but for now they learning to talk using Circle M & Pi.

I will keep you posted....but as I understand after they reach next stage Debian will be sharing all with TRSDOS thus this will be final consummation of relationship between TRSDOS & Debian.

TRSDOS running on eZ80 will be able to access all of Raspberry Pi peripherals.

Pi folks shout out....soon will be time to connect with TRSDOS.

As march of progress proceeds, I will soon start release of source code for this project. That will come as a series of releases and phases.

Anyone is interested in using this code to assemble yourself will need to download Zilog Development System from Zilog. This is free and is crap, but it is what cards delt me. Misosys also has two assemblers that can be downloaded from Tim Mann website. All three will be needed before it is over.

My question is should I produce instructions on how to use these tools to assemble OS or leave it up to end assemblers?

It boils down to how many people can sit down and write a hello world in TRSDOS assembler and display results on screen using TRSDOS API calls etc? Know proper structure of creating TRSDOS modules and interfacing with TRSDOS supervisor calls.

Besides if you try to do it you will be assembling the very code that makes up these system calls.

This is no small project. Source for LOWCORE is over 14,000 lines of code. This is plus sys1 - 13, utilities & libraries. I have never looked but I would guess 75,000 lines of code....and growing....

Roy Soltoff careful coding, cleaning up Randy Cook & Radio Shacks mess, dedication to portable code, modular and porting friendly coding produced TRSDOS. TRSDOS will go down in history as THE leading 8-bit Operating System.

Thanks.

Last edited:
If possible, you should explain how you do the build with those various tools. I've encountered way too many opensource projects that fail to explain the build process. Speaking personally, nothing makes me lose interest faster.

Back