• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Russia, Sanctions and the Soviet Parts we Use

NeXT

Veteran Member
So the thought came across my mind today that while many of us do not rely on products made, distributed or sold in Russia and its affected affiliates who may now be subject to tightened sanctions and embargos on the trade of tech and goods, I think we all know at least one person who has at one point or another purchased Soviet-era materials like nixie tubes, semiconductors, clone CPU's, conventional vacuum tubes and electronics surplus which was sold or shipped from Russia or one of its affiliates.
Should we be concerned about that supply suddenly drying up?

Shifting maybe... As they are moved and exported from other places. I think prices may increase over what they have been lately, and suppy may not be the same.. But I doubt it will dry up altogether.
They want thier money.. They will find a way to get it on the market.

Soviet != Russian, when it comes to vintage parts. Indeed, some of those can be manufactured anywhere within Warsaw Pact territory. ISTR, for example, there is at least one vendor of old Soviet chips in Lithuania.

At this very moment I'm waiting on some old tech from Ukraine and Bulgaria. Small parts and of no real consequence to any projects, but I'm wondering if I will see them at all. They seem to be 'in motion' but I've had parts from some parts of Russia take 2.5 months to get here. Stuff from Ukraine has been pretty usually pretty quick (2 weeks-ish.) At this point, am just hoping the guy in Ukraine makes it out or stays safe.

Soviet != Russian, when it comes to vintage parts. Indeed, some of those can be manufactured anywhere within Warsaw Pact territory. ISTR, for example, there is at least one vendor of old Soviet chips in Lithuania.
I meant as in businesses who sell large amounts of NOS soviet-era components. We ain't talking "new" stuff that can say it was made within the Russian Federation. You can still buy cartons of IN-16's that have never been used but they're shipping from a warehouse in Yakutsk by a seller based out of Zhatai. Stock that's solidly in Russia and sold by a local company. So because the tubes were manufactured in the USSR it should be exempt from any current trade restrictions?

It will be interesting to see if prices for tube-based audio equipment starts going up. I though I heard most (new) power tubes come from Svetlana headquartered in St. Petersburg. Oh well, I can't afford to buy that stuff new anyway.

I been watch the news all day, mostly BBC, and it looks like all of the Russian accounts with the exception of SWIFT are going to be shut down. If the EU gets their way and closes all avenues for SWIFT they won't be able to buy or sell a package of gum.

Definitely glad I got my Oberheim SEM clone kit (from a Russian synth enthusiast) some months ago. It wasn't a conscious factor in my decision to jump on that, but even at that time I had a nagging suspicion that it was better sooner than later.

It will be interesting to see if prices for tube-based audio equipment starts going up. I though I heard most (new) power tubes come from Svetlana headquartered in St. Petersburg. Oh well, I can't afford to buy that stuff new anyway.
I heard there's some off the more mainstream tubes such as 12ax 7's and EL34's coming from China. Not sure I'd want to try one in a vintage amp though.

Youtubers like D-Lab have been trying out other tubes with regards to building practice amps from. Some are very similar or normally used for video or RF, but can serve as a pre-amp tube or power tube.

Back