• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Safe to open up an mfm hdd to try and fix it?

hey Famicomaster2 - any chance you have a parts drive? I kinda wrecked the flexi steel band by being a bit too rough.
I think my chances on spot welding the little plate back onto the end of the band are slim to none!
;)

If there was servo information, the head mover would be voice coil based, not stepper based. Related information at [here].

When an MFM hard drive is low-level formatted, I expect that the cylinder number is written to each cylinder as part of the low-level format.
For example, section 5.7 of the OEM manual for the WD1002S-WX2 controller shows the breakdown of the low-level format used by that controller.
I can see that the cylinder number is within the IDENT and CYL LOW portions of the IDENT field.
Some stepper based drives have very basic tracking information, such as the CMI 6000 and 7000 series drives which use an optically encoded servo in addition to tracking bursts written between tracks onto the platters in the factory, which with a discriminator help position the drive's heads. See "COMPUTER MEMORIES CM6000 THEORY OF OPERATION" starting at page 9 available here.
Drives like the Seagate ST-251 also have similar basic tracking methods where cylinder marks are written just before the index pulse on each track to aid in positioning of the heads. Quantum also held a patent for this but I am not sure if it was ever used. I know the Kalok Octagon II also used a similar method to CMI.

The low level format varies between controllers, the mostly accepted Seagate format does include cylinder numbers but there are DTC controllers, particularly RLL which often do not include this information in the interest of packing more data into a track while retaining a somewhat lower physical density - This improves reliability with "uncertified" mechanisms somewhat. That said, regardless the drive has no way to read or interpret this information on it's own, this falls squarely on the controller and is usually used as a quick double check to detect seek errors that the MCU may not be reporting. Some performance testing software can observe this data to learn seek rates as well.

track -1! exactly. I think it has to see a specially marked track on the disk that is one notch out from what is intended to be track 0.
Cylinder -1 is typically an engineering or control location on many ESDI and IDE drives. Steps beyond track 0 cause the heads to hit their end stop, at least in the KC-20B.

Last edited:
hey Famicomaster2 - any chance you have a parts drive? I kinda wrecked the flexi steel band by being a bit too rough.
I think my chances on spot welding the little plate back onto the end of the band are slim to none!
Judging by the rest of the diagnosis I am willing to bet that the band was stretched or fatigued before it was even disassembled. I can dig through my collection a bit to find one, but I do not think I have any spare KC-20Bs at the moment. What is the length of the band? I may have a bagged Kalok part somewhere. If not, the band is typically just a stripe of spring steel and is not hard to replicate manually. If you have a drive of particular value, I've found many machine shops can and will make them happily, as well as resurface crashed platters. Though they are still unwilling to coat them for me...

If there was servo information, the head mover would be voice coil based, not stepper based. Related information at [here].
By "servo" I'm simply inferring a special track with easy-to-recognize data patterns. Need not (and probably not required) to be FM or MFM. The data could simply be recorded as signals with varying offsets from the track centerline, to allow the positioner to find the "sweet spot"

When an MFM hard drive is low-level formatted, I expect that the cylinder number is written to each cylinder as part of the low-level format.
For example, section 5.7 of the OEM manual for the WD1002S-WX2 controller shows the breakdown of the low-level format used by that controller.
I can see that the cylinder number is within the IDENT and CYL LOW portions of the IDENT field.

Maybe for a specific controller, but an ST506 interface drive is essentially a tabula rasa. Indeed, I think some were even used as video frame buffers (a 3600 RPM drive spins at 60 rps, precisely the frame rate of an NTSC signal; a 3000 RPM drive spins at 50 rps, which might work for PAL). Consider, again, if the drive were used with an MFM, RLL or even ARLL controller. It wouldn't be economical or reasonable for a drive to have the data recovery circuitry on it for MFM or anything else. Think of an ST506 as a very fast and large floppy drive.

You had to wait for SCSI and IDE drives for that.

By "servo" I'm simply inferring a special track with easy-to-recognize data patterns. Need not (and probably not required) to be FM or MFM. The data could simply be recorded as signals with varying offsets from the track centerline, to allow the positioner to find the "sweet spot"
See my previous post linking to CMI's technical document on the inner workings of the 6000 series, which did exactly this. There are pseudo-tracks between every data track which contain a repeated high frequency burst which is separated to the microcontroller for basic positioning information. It sets outer limits of the track - The idea was that the head was imprecise enough in general operation to "hear" this high amplitude noise even while reading or writing other data. The noise alternates between even and odd track limits, which means that the perceived "noise" in reading should be exactly even at all times to know that you're in the middle of a track. Of course in practice this requires a lot of very fine analog adjustment and is often pretty inconvenient without specialized equipment, but the theory holds water. Kalok's Octagon II drives did this as well.
Think of an ST506 as a very fast and large floppy drive.
I would hesitate to even call them particularly fast in some cases. The maximum access time of an ST-506 with it's 3ms step rate is 500ms before settle time - The original 400K floppy drive in the Macintosh 128K has a maximum access time of about 430ms including settle time. Maybe it rotates faster but it was no faster in seeking than many floppy drives - And there were quad density drives available which had transfer rate over the ST-506 as well. There are some drives out there which are even slower than an ST-506, even with buffered seek. I can think of a few Epson and Microscience drives just off the top of my head.

Their control method is very reminiscent of the SA1000 and Shugart floppy interfaces however, if that's what you were referring to.

Do you have any information on the servo and track layout of the micropolis 13xx series with the sticky bumper problem?
People muck around with the head positioning w/o good knowledge of the servo system or the wisdom of attempting to
move the initial head position

I would hesitate to even call them particularly fast in some cases. The maximum access time of an ST-506 with it's 3ms step rate is 500ms before settle time - The original 400K floppy drive in the Macintosh 128K has a maximum access time of about 430ms including settle time. Maybe it rotates faster but it was no faster in seeking than many floppy drives - And there were quad density drives available which had transfer rate over the ST-506 as well. There are some drives out there which are even slower than an ST-506, even with buffered seek. I can think of a few Epson and Microscience drives just off the top of my head.
There were floppy drives with a rotational speed of 3600 RPM? I've never heard of any. There were some 600 RPM drives; the original 3.5" Sony ones were like that, as were the 5.25" Drivetec units. I suppose, for the sake of argument, you could include Bernoulli drives (3000 RPM), but those really were a non-contact drive; really sui generis.

Normal R/W channel bandwidth of the ST506 is about 5MHz--I've never heard of a floppy drive being able to do that.

As far as positioning, yes, the 506 wasn't particularly fast, but once you were on-track, access to a given sector was remarkably fast when compared to a floppy.

Last edited:
There were floppy drives with a rotational speed of 3600 RPM? I've never heard of any.
See "maybe it rotates faster"
Normal R/W channel bandwidth of the ST506 is about 5MHz--I've never heard of a floppy drive being able to do that.
As far as positioning, yes, the 506 wasn't particularly fast, but once you were on-track, access to a given sector was remarkably fast when compared to a floppy.
With a 10K track size you will be moving the heads a lot. The expectation with a hard disk drive is that you are storing many files or very large files, and with FAT you will be seeking to the table often for small files and you will need to reposition the heads many times for large files. In my experience it's marginally quicker in day-to-day access than a high density 3.5" diskette drive.

Do you have any information on the servo and track layout of the micropolis 13xx series with the sticky bumper problem?
People muck around with the head positioning w/o good knowledge of the servo system or the wisdom of attempting to
move the initial head position
I have no direct experience, although I own a 1325 and a 1333 which suffer from this issue. I have been told that there is a way to insert a shim in a manner which will permanently fix the unit, but I have not yet gotten around to bothering with mine. They are ugly drives and being counterbalanced rotary voice coil makes them rather bland in my opinion. The 1333 set itself ablaze for a short period - At that point I stuck them both back on the shelf and have rarely looked their direction since. It seems there is an official fanpage on YouTube which may have some advice, though. Might be worth a try there.
As far as I'm aware there's a standard entire surface for use as servo information and that the innermost (landing zone) tracks have pulse data for reading the speed of the drive during spinup. I'm not aware of any details beyond this, other than that the drive is watching the servo head during spinup to make sure the motor reaches the correct speed. Without this it fails and powers back down.

hah! managed to spot-weld that metal ribbon with two sharpened nails and a car battery ;). A bit messy and a touch shocking. but it works!

So the parts drive is reassembled but alas still cannot find track 0. I blame it on the visible flake of coating missing from the top platten in the area of track 0.

Back