• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Saga continues with Model 1

homeline

In my last post on reviving the M1, I got the video issues sorted out. I turned my attention to the CCR82 cassette. Full disassembly, cleaning & new belts. But it will not work correctly. The take-up reel skips and the plunger that engages record switch is flaky. This model is too compact, and requires too much disassembly to troubleshoot on the bench. Have put on back burner for now.
Turned attention to expansion unit. Other than covered in an oily dusty residue, is in fine shape. Cleaned everything, to include Deoxit on edge connectors. P/S supply voltages checked out, as did the on the board. Both the EI unit and console have the gold-edged connector upgrade, but I did not get the cable. So I procured two 40 pin connectors from MARVAC.com and made a cable from remnant ribbon I used to repair the keyboard.

Then things got strange....no signs that console and EI were talking. Chips on EI were slightly warm, so I know it was working to some extent. Long story short, I had to ever so slightly bend up the gold contacts to get things talking. So now it displays 48340 when i type PRINT MEM. But even still, if you bump the cable the system locks up about 3/10 times. This even after I reflowed the solder on the connectors.

Was hoping the better connectors solved this problem, but perhaps this is just the nature of the machine.

So next up are the disk drives. But first I need to get some software on disks. Does anyone offer this service? Me down loading image files a little beyond my skill level at this time.

A couple of questions for you.
1. Where in SIL are you located? I'm in SE MO Close to Cape Girardeau in Chaffee, MO.

2. What OS for the Model 1 are you wanting to start with? TRSDOS, NEWDOS 80, LDOS?
Also what Version?
The first track will have to be Single Density to get the OS Booting. A Model 3 can write this
type Floppy.

I have a Model 1, but lost all my software due to bad floppy media. Currently it isn't booting
and I need to repair it. I updated the ROM to Version 1.3 from 1.1, which helped with loading
cassette based software, and also less keyboard bounces.

Larry

A couple of questions for you.
1. Where in SIL are you located? I'm in SE MO Close to Cape Girardeau in Chaffee, MO.

2. What OS for the Model 1 are you wanting to start with? TRSDOS, NEWDOS 80, LDOS?
Also what Version?
The first track will have to be Single Density to get the OS Booting. A Model 3 can write this
type Floppy.

I have a Model 1, but lost all my software due to bad floppy media. Currently it isn't booting
and I need to repair it. I updated the ROM to Version 1.3 from 1.1, which helped with loading
cassette based software, and also less keyboard bounces.

Larry
I'm near St. Louis. Actually make it down to the Cape area several times a year.

No earthly idea on OS....the TRS-80 line is all new to me.

Back