• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

SaV64 Pre-Orders

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkydivinGirl

Veteran Member
Hi everyone!

I am very happy to introduce the SaV64!
SaV64Logo.png

The SaV64 was designed and created in collaboration with e5frog, based on his OVG64 over voltage protector. It uses an over voltage protection controller to allow you to safely use your original Commodore power supply or an alternative power source with your Commodore computers.

Here’s the complete list of features:
  • - Protect your Commodore 64(C/G/GS/Aldi), Commodore VIC-20 CR, or Plus/4 (with an adapter) from overvoltage on the 5VDC line.
    - 5VDC and 9VAC Barrel connectors to allow easy use of alternative power sources. 5VDC barrel input is also protected from overvoltage.
    - Use an external 5VDC power source and continue using your Commodore power supply for 9VAC even when its 5VDC has failed.
    - Designed to handle 3 Amps in order to protect and power your system.
    - High quality relay that disconnects both DC and AC lines in the case of an overvoltage condition.
    - Dual color LED indicating the 5VDC status: Normal (Green) or Tripped (Red)
    - Can be reset with the recessed reset button or by unplugging the power source.
    - LED indicator shows when voltage is safe or tripped.
    - Four possible trip point settings to customize the protection to your system.
    - A high quality aluminum enclosure that will be customized at the factory to precisely match the SaV64’s connectors. The case is quite small at around 2.5 Inches Wide by 2.8 Inches Deep and 1.5 Inches tall.
    - 3M Rubber Feet and a professionally printed SaV64 logo are also included to complete the device.
    - The output cable can be routed through the same end as the inputs or out the back of the device. To accommodate either configuration, this is the only opening that is not pre-drilled.
Here are images of the prototype device. Please remember that this is a prototype so it has some cosmetic and other issues. I drilled the holes for the prototype so they are not exactly straight and you can see the aluminum on the edges of the holes. The factory cut holes will be properly cut and the same anodized black as the rest of the case. The LED will be lower and the reset switch will be closer to the outside of the case for easier access.

As you can see in the images, I have powered the C64 using the 5VDC from my benchtop power supply along with a 9VAC adapter plugged into the barrel connector.

I am taking pre-orders for the kits now! There are five SMD components but the rest of the device is through-hole soldering. I will pre-attach the SMD components to the PCB for anyone who is not capable of doing those components themselves. Please specify that you need this done when you pre-order.

Here are the costs:

$55.00 - Fully assembled, ready to use device.

$42.50 – One complete kit. Everything you need to assemble one SaV64. There are two barrel connector options: 2.0x6.3mm (Accepts 2.1x5.5mm plug) or 2.5x6.3mm (Accepts 2.5x5.5mm plug). You can get two of the same or one of each.

$1 – Each additional foot (30cm) of 4-Conductor output wire. The kit will come with 20 Inches (~50cm) of output wire. That will give you more than 1ft of cable between the SaV64 and your computer but you can order extra length at this price if you like. This will add a little extra weight to the package and may affect shipping costs.

Shipping Notice: Each kit is about 8 Ounces. Shipping a single kit to many countries will cost around $14.40. Please send me your mailing address via PM along with the number of kits you want so I can get you a good shipping quote. I am willing to ship multiple user’s kits to a single person who can distribute them, which might save money. Again, contact me if you want to do something like this.

Shipping within the USA is $5.25 for a single kit. I might be able to get two kits into a Small Flat Rate box for the same price but I won't know until I receive the components.

This kit was created with quality in mind so I did not skimp on the components. Higher quality components cost more but I fully expect the SaV64 to be a robust and reliable device for years to come. :)

Pre-orders will be open at least one month. I will only accept PayPal Gift for payment. I may make exceptions if this option is not available in your region. I hope I’ve earned the trust of the members of the community through my years of interaction and also the Final Cartridge III+ project last year.

I will update this thread through each step of the process. I expect to begin shipping kits within two months. I wish I didn’t have to wait so long but the pre-order payments are needed before I can order parts.

I’m more than happy to answer any questions you have!

I'd like to thank penfold42 for his early input and send a huge thanks to e5frog for all his work on this project. I could not have done it without him!

Heather

Last edited:
Hi everyone!
Pre-orders will be open at least one month. I will only accept PayPal Gift for payment. I may make exceptions if this option is not available in your region. I hope I’ve earned the trust of the members of the community through my years of interaction and also the Final Cartridge III+ project last year.

Hi,

More of a commentary then a question: I never understood why someone who is selling a good would expect people to pay with PayPal Gift? Is it because of the fees? Then just charge ~3% more to cover fees for anyone who wants an invoice. If it is to avoid buyer's protection dealing w/ a CC charge back is far worse and heck if you are trying to avoid buyer's protection you have already lost trust. Speaking personally I usually pay for this sort of stuff with company funds so I always need an invoice and a proper receipt for taxes or I generally have to pass. I am just wondering what everyone else's feeling on this is?

Asking for Paypal gift payments instead of a regular payment is fraud. It defrauds Paypal of legitimate income and the buyer of buyer protection.

It's clear she wants to skirt around the fees they charge, and make it more difficult to obtain a refund. I would avoid purchasing anything from the OP and report him to Paypal if you know his Paypal ID.

She has pretty much zero trust for doing this.

Last edited:
First off, please ask a question instead of going off on some self righteous rant. It only makes you look bad.

The reason I am asking for PayPal Gift payment is not to avoid the fees. If someone in the USA wants to pay with standard PayPal then I am more than happy to accept standard PayPal but I would ask the buyer to pay those fees.

I am also happy to accept standard PayPal from anyone in the world! Again, I would ask them to pay the fees but they would also have to pay postage that has International tracking. From my experience, most people are not willing to pay for shipping that usually costs at least double the standard non-tracked cost.

So, in short, the reason is simply to protect myself when an International purchaser is not willing to pay for shipping with package tracking.

I've done other projects and have been in the community for quite some time. If you don't trust me then don't buy from me.

GiGaBiTe must not have even looked at the first post given that he keeps calling me 'He' even though my real name is at the end of every post I write.

Heather

Heather is right.
1: When people sell items on fora like these it is a hobby: not an enterprise.
2: There are a lot of scammers out there. PayPal for family / friends is one of the few ways to reduce risk.
3: Heather is an outstanding person who has an excellent track record in the vintage computing community. She does not deserve these inappropriate personal attacks.
4: In case you have issues with PayPal for family/friends in general take it to the off topic forum.
5: It would be good for a moderator to clean up this thread so it once again focuses on Heather's initiative (which we should all applaud).

4: In case you have issues with PayPal for family/friends in general take it to the off topic forum.

I have no issues w/ PP family and friends. It is great for sending money to family/friends but not for buying stuff. However, to keep this thread clean I started this thread.

Nonsense: you are not buying in the sense of a customer and enterprise. You are sending a friend in the hobby some $ to help out with a hobby project. That is how I look at it.

Nonsense: you are not buying in the sense of a customer and enterprise. You are sending a friend in the hobby some $ to help out with a hobby project. That is how I look at it.
Regardless of how *you* look at it PayPal looks at it quite differently and since it's their game you should adjust your approach to how you deal with this 'friends and family' matter or risk loosing some PayPal privileges.

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full#4

Other than that... it's also dishonest.

Thank you to everyone who spoke up for me. I really appreciate the trust you have shown.

For those who still want to argue about PayPal Gift payments to pay for items, please use the thread that Shadow Lord opened:

http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcf...seller-s-requesting-quot-gift-quot-PP-payment

If you feel I am out to rip off PayPal or anyone else then please feel free to report me. Otherwise, stay out of things that honestly don't concern you.

Heather

Thank you to everyone who spoke up for me. I really appreciate the trust you have shown.

For those who still want to argue about PayPal Gift payments to pay for items, please use the thread that Shadow Lord opened:

http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcf...seller-s-requesting-quot-gift-quot-PP-payment

If you feel I am out to rip off PayPal or anyone else then please feel free to report me. Otherwise, stay out of things that honestly don't concern you.

Heather

Wow. I just read the other thread. Never mind, I'll never sell things here again.

If possible, please close this thread.
Hehehehe no comment necessary! :)

First off, please ask a question instead of going off on some self righteous rant. It only makes you look bad.

The reason I am asking for PayPal Gift payment is not to avoid the fees. If someone in the USA wants to pay with standard PayPal then I am more than happy to accept standard PayPal but I would ask the buyer to pay those fees.

You're basically admitting here that you use the gift system to avoid having to pay or charge fees.

There's no other reason to use the gift system in the way you're doing other than to avoid paying fees. Neither the buyer or seller would pay a transaction fee for buying your product, but the buyer is on the losing end because they lose all buyer protection. If you're selling a product, you need to be using the normal payment method and pass the fees on to the customer like normal businesses do.

I run a business myself and if I attempted what you're doing, I'd be in all sorts of hot water with the comptroller and the IRS.

I am also happy to accept standard PayPal from anyone in the world! Again, I would ask them to pay the fees but they would also have to pay postage that has International tracking. From my experience, most people are not willing to pay for shipping that usually costs at least double the standard non-tracked cost.

Individuals and businesses pay fees all the time to use credit cards, they're used to it. The same goes with shipping.

So, in short, the reason is simply to protect myself when an International purchaser is not willing to pay for shipping with package tracking.

You're not really protecting yourself either because you lose seller protection too when you use the gift system. If you're using gift payments to avoid getting issued a chargeback, just know that buyers can do chargebacks on gift payments too.

I don't know how you're doing shipping, but generally you find the cost of shipping before you ship the product, not after. If the cost of shipping is included in the item price then there's no real avenue of trying to avoid paying it.

I've done other projects and have been in the community for quite some time. If you don't trust me then don't buy from me.

I've seen many people do good work for a community, and I've also seen many of those people suddenly do an about face and turn bad, very bad. Not to say that you are or will in the future, but it's always a possibility and people need to know that you doing unethical things like asking for gift payments affects their rights as a buyer. It's your business if you want to get cross ways with Paypal and the government, but other people shouldn't have to be dragged into it.

GiGaBiTe must not have even looked at the first post given that he keeps calling me 'He' even though my real name is at the end of every post I write.

Heather

I've corrected my previous post.

I've corrected my previous post.
Are you sure? After all... this is the Internet. How can you ever be sure about anything about anybody, gender included, unless you've actually met that individual face to face? Wait, my bad... even if you've met face to face can you really be sure? :) :) :)

Geeze, guys...

Jump on people, much?

Your points are taken... but Heather is doing nothing that hundreds of others (including probably most of you, I'd wager) haven't done before, even if just for single items.

If you're so concerned about ethics, then even if you're not "running a business," you wouldn't be using Paypal gift for single-item or one-time forum-selling.

(btw - note the "wager" part - I'm not interested in trying to "back up" my assertions nor start a fight - unlike some of you - I'm just attempting to put this into some slight perspective)

Heather's reputation across at least a dozen forums that I'm familiar with is STELLAR - and this is over the course of at least 6 years. Take that for what you will... but to be honest, I'd more likely trust her with my paypal gift money than I would a user with a nicely-priced, desirable item but zero reputation in the community.

If this took off and became a business rather than a "labor of love" so to speak... then perhaps Heather would do things more by the book.

But this is HARDLY the first project I've seen pass through here who asked for Paypal gift, or even money orders via snail-mail (just as dangerous). On these, I can think, from the top of my head, XT-IDE, N8VEM projects, AT/XT Converter, Sergei's projects, the 8-bit sound card project (adlib clone), not to mention nearly every listing in the "For Sale or Trade" section for years...

Get off your high horses, guys... this is a bit ridiculous. Singling out one post among hundreds that are doing the exact same thing.

Heather, my advice... don't let a few bad holier-than-thou's keep you from selling on the forum.

Last edited:
Hehehehe no comment necessary! :)

What is wrong with you? I've purchased from you before and had a great experience. Why are you trolling me?

I've put a lot of time, money, and effort into this project that I will most likely not even break even on. I did it because there was a need in the Commodore community, not to make money. If you want to drive away people who are creating new projects for the hobby that we all enjoy then congratulations! Good job.

I wanted to move past this so I could still enjoy the site but it seems like that's not going to be possible because of two assholes who have nothing better to do. I hope you are happy with the fact that you've driven off a multi-year member of the site who has never done anything except try to help people.

Heather

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back