• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Saving ROM data from Tek 4052

Nice work Roland! Love seeing that the super simple LINES demo is being used on other machines as well as Dave's emulator!

I'm encouraged to dust off my second and broken 4052 that is sitting in the closet with the new information learned here and the diagnostics pack may even be useful. I originally made a working 4052 out of the two broken units I obtained and if memory serves me right, the broken one aside from having a bad set of ROMs has some other issue with the MAS board that probably could be attributed to failing DRAMs. Also there was an issue with the IO board, when I had it in my working 4052 I think only created a dot on the screen and I don't recall if it booted normally nevertheless.

I'm focusing on getting up to speed on the Javascript emulator and figuring my way through it if I can manage to keep other distractions at bay. Dave - do you think we should start a new thread to discuss 405x emulation as this thread seems to cover a wide variety of things...

The more (working) 4052s the merrier :)!

We can create a new thread for the 405X emulations if you fancy. Do you want to create the thread or should I?

If you need a bit of help 'kickstarting' your understanding of my spaghetti code - please ask an I will try to make things more clearer...

Dave

Dave - I created a new thread titled "Tek web-browser emulator" so we can take the discussions on the Javascript files over there. I spent some time working through the 6800 emulator code, but haven't dived in deep on the Tek 4051 code - it definitely looks like spaghetti and could use some compartmentalizing.

Hi Everyone,

one more update on the tape drive: I checked and replaced the 2nd 74LS76 on the tape drive board (U131) that generates the flux reversals in the tape heads in write mode; two of the outputs were stuck. Now I can load from and save to tape.

While I was at it, I tried the comms interface in the backpack and managed to dump my tapes via RS232; it was a breeze! This includes the PLOT50 system tape. I had two unrecoverable errors on one of the other tapes (mostly plots of differential functions and such) but most were surprisingly readable. I've uploaded a ZIP of the tape images (all ASCII files straight off the tape, with native NULL record terminators) to my Goggle drive:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1fv2SMNVyLgGgx1zgyb7vsz8Xgrlb53XC?usp=sharing
Any chance of running these in your emulator, Dave?

I also consolidated my miscellaneous 4052 docs with the annotated service manual and moved them here:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1xhkyPeKSx8siHP2LGlevFNyxaAEmtvts?usp=sharing

Hope this comes in handy for future reference.

Jos, I wanted to pick up the diagnostics module again; any quote for a small volume fab of the PCB?

Best regards,

--Roland

Jos, I wanted to pick up the diagnostics module again; any quote for a small volume fab of the PCB?

--Roland

Currently on hold, as I am busy trying to resurrect my Lilith for the VCF in Thun in 3 weeks time : Niklaus Wirth is attending and it would be so nice to present a working Lilith !

Lots of things to do beside that , so I expect the diag module to be ready somewhere in fall.
Picking up a design after `a few months hiatus usually has me finding a few design errors, so the wait is probably not in vain !
Regards Jos

4052/4054 System Tester

4052/4054 System Tester

Newbie here, just found this thread and the emulator thread. Posted two of my 4052 programs to the Github site for the emulator.

Jos - both my 4052 and 4054 have stopped running, I would sure like to buy one of your 4054 Diagnostic boards.

I managed to find a 4052/4054 System Tester years ago - but no documentation. Looks like a factory test unit - not a customer tester.
Here is a photo of the front - several ribbon cables in back with connector labels. Hex keypad, binary LEDs, some extra keys like Microstep and Macrostep on the keypad. Anyone here know any more about this tester

Tektronix 4052-4054 system tester.jpg

I'm new to the forum - but have a Tek 4052 and 4054 currently both need repair work - so I would also be interested in a diagnostic module.

- Monty

a question on the 4052 diagnostic board. I see a 74LS387 in the schematic, that is a PROM - does anyone have the code for that PROM? I guess someone with the board could dump the PROM contents on a programmer?

Monty

Hi - I'm new to the thread.

I have a non-working 4052 and non-working 4052.

I am interested in getting a PCB for the 4052 diagnostics rom - sounds like it could help me repair my two computers.

I have one of the 4051 ROM cartridges - I think it is the FFT from the label (160-1417 and 1418) on the EEPROMs. Could this cartridge be modified into a diagnostic cartridge?

I also have the Tek 4052/4052A 4054/4054A Service and Parts manuals. I bought them in 2000 when I acquired my 4052 and 4054s.

Monty

Hi - I'm new to the thread.

I have a non-working 4052 and non-working 4052.

I am interested in getting a PCB for the 4052 diagnostics rom - sounds like it could help me repair my two computers.

I have one of the 4051 ROM cartridges - I think it is the FFT from the label (160-1417 and 1418) on the EEPROMs. Could this cartridge be modified into a diagnostic cartridge?

I also have the Tek 4052/4052A 4054/4054A Service and Parts manuals. I bought them in 2000 when I acquired my 4052 and 4054s.

Monty

Newbie here.

I posted Artillery and Viper programs to the emulator on Github.

Are my posts showing up yet?

Monty

Hi Monty,

about the diagnostic cartridges : my reproduction is currently on hold for a couple of weeks.
There is no 74ls387 on that board, it is a 74ls367. Also u131 is a 74ls273, not a '367 as depicted in the schematic.

If you are in a hurry : the full documentation on the diagnostic cartridges is on my FTP site ftp://ftp.dreesen.ch/TEK4052

Jos

PS Nice 4052 production tester you have there......

Hi Monty,

about the diagnostic cartridges : my reproduction is currently on hold for a couple of weeks.
There is no 74ls387 on that board, it is a 74ls367. Also u131 is a 74ls273, not a '367 as depicted in the schematic.

If you are in a hurry : the full documentation on the diagnostic cartridges is on my FTP site ftp://ftp.dreesen.ch/TEK4052

Jos

PS Nice 4052 production tester you have there......

Jos,

Thanks for the files! Nice schematic.

I'm not in a hurry - just putting a little time into my Tek computers while building my Starwars BB-8 :)

I think I can create a 3D printable model of the Diagnostic ROM case by measuring one of the ROM cases.

Do you think I can modify an existing 4051 ROM PCB to create a 4052 Diagnostic ROM pack?

Monty

Hi Monty,

Jos

Nice 4052 production tester you have there......

Thanks - I wish I could find instructions for it :(

None of the LEDs above the keypad are labeled.

The ribbon cables do have paper labels with connector numbers.

I don't know if it is just a board tester - or could be used with the system assembled.

Monty

Back