• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

SCO Manuals

Micom 2000

Veteran Member
I have what I believe is a complete set of UNIX SCO manuals. Some are still shrink-wrapped.
The last time I explored it, SCO was selling the OS for around $25. I'd imagine the price is still the same. I don't know what version. Was there more than 1 ?

Lawrence

Huh? Is there a user license in there somewhere? I just did some looking around. If you want just the media, that is $30 to $100. Now, if you would like a license to go with that? That will be $520 please.
That's for Unixware 7.1.4. More or less the workstation type release.

$520 seems to be a bit much with *nix OS-es like NetBSD for free, dontcha think?

I've got SCO Xenix manuals and software here that I'll be listing here pretty soon. It's complete with license, but there's a catch--it's on 5.25" DSHD floppies and it's wired to a Wyse system. Fortunately, the latter is pretty easy to patch out--I've installed it on other systems.

Yes, I wasn't seriously thinking of getting any SCO product. I was mainly just pointing out the current SCO license costs. They don't seem to have changed at all from, say, 4 years ago.

$520 seems to be a bit much with *nix OS-es like NetBSD for free, dontcha think?

I've got SCO Xenix manuals and software here that I'll be listing here pretty soon. It's complete with license, but there's a catch--it's on 5.25" DSHD floppies and it's wired to a Wyse system. Fortunately, the latter is pretty easy to patch out--I've installed it on other systems.

What is the status with the "listing" of said Xenix manuals and software? Are you per change planning some annonymous bittorrent? (that would be bliss).

Nope, the whole shebang sold last year on eBay to a fellow in Japan. Curious thing was that shipping was more than the gavel price.

I did make copies of the disks, in case any didn't make the overseas trip, but I think that distributing software still under copyright isn't advisable.

What with various BSD versions kicking around, Xenix for an x86 box seems to be mostly a matter of curiosity more than anything really useful.

What with various BSD versions kicking around, Xenix for an x86 box seems to be mostly a matter of curiosity more than anything really useful.

Yes, of course it's question of curiosity. A matter for vintage computer fans ;-)

Let me know, did that Xenix bundle which went to Japan include the "TCP/IP Supplement" and the "Development Set" (those, to my knowledge, are missing bits in the Xenix collector's arsenal) ?

What is the status with the "listing" of said Xenix manuals and software? Are you per change planning some annonymous bittorrent? (that would be bliss).

If you look in the right places you can find disk images(no manuals). You can get the installation guide here temporarily. It includes instructions for both Xenix 286 and Xenix 386:

http://www.mediafire.com/?aq23kr1dhp3x5px

Without it, there is a good chance your installation will fail.

Let me know, did that Xenix bundle which went to Japan include the "TCP/IP Supplement" and the "Development Set" (those, to my knowledge, are missing bits in the Xenix collector's arsenal) ?

I don't recall that it included the TCP/IP supplement, but it did include the development books and disks.

If you look in the right places you can find disk images(no manuals). You can get the installation guide here temporarily. It includes instructions for both Xenix 286 and Xenix 386:

http://www.mediafire.com/?aq23kr1dhp3x5px

Without it, there is a good chance your installation will fail.

Thanks for the pointers. I know and have tried the floppy images that are "floating around" for Xenix. They work fine, but they are missing TCP/IP support (it was a separate "Supplement" package sold and licensed by SCO) and the C compiler and headers (it was a separate "Development Set" sold and licensed by SCO).

I could live without the TCP/IP support (uucp and kermit-zmodem would work fine to transfer files in and out of the system), but the lack of the Development Set is a total show stopper. It makes it a crippled museum piece. :-(

Thanks for the pointers. I know and have tried the floppy images that are "floating around" for Xenix. They work fine, but they are missing TCP/IP support (it was a separate "Supplement" package sold and licensed by SCO) and the C compiler and headers (it was a separate "Development Set" sold and licensed by SCO).

I could live without the TCP/IP support (uucp and kermit-zmodem would work fine to transfer files in and out of the system), but the lack of the Development Set is a total show stopper. It makes it a crippled museum piece. :-(

Have you got the archive named "titor-special"? There are 14 floppy disks imaged in a directory named XenixDevSys_3_0_IMD.zip. Unfortunately, no manuals.

Have you got the archive named "titor-special"? There are 14 floppy disks imaged in a directory named XenixDevSys_3_0_IMD.zip. Unfortunately, no manuals.

Thanks, Chuckster_in_Jax.

I've got hold of the "XenixDevSys_3_0_IMD.zip". As you say, it has no instructions. It seems to consist of 14 floppy images, in format "IMD" (unknown to me, right now); the weird thing about these floppy images is that not all of them are of the same size...

Code:
$ ls -lh DEVSYS01of14.IMD
-rwx------+ 1 username groupname 608K Feb 12  2006 DEVSYS01of14.IMD

$ file DEVSYS01of14.IMD 
DEVSYS01of14.IMD: data

$ file --version
file-4.19
magic file from /usr/share/file/magic

I little detective work seems to be in order.

Thanks, Chuckster_in_Jax.

I've got hold of the "XenixDevSys_3_0_IMD.zip". As you say, it has no instructions. It seems to consist of 14 floppy images, in format "IMD" (unknown to me, right now); the weird thing about these floppy images is that not all of them are of the same size...

This is the Tandy 6000 development system from http://www.catcorner.org/tandy . It will not work with any SCO distriburion. I know because I created this zip file. These require a Tandy 6000 that uses a 68000 CPU and a Z80 CPU in tandem. They will not work on a 286, 386, pentium or any of the intel CPU lines. There is also no TCP/IP networking. These machines only support MICNET and UUCP networks.

As to different sizes, ImageDisk does some on the fly compression with repeated bytes.

Last edited:
Back