• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Screen Burn

tgunner

Experienced Member
Is there a good way to remove screen burn? I'm considering getting a cheap New World MAC on eBay, but it has slight screen burn. I heard of making the monitor display pure white for like 100 hours. Would this be effective?

You can't get rid of screen burn.

Screen burn means that the phosphor coating which the electrons are projected at has deteriorated due to long periods of being hit.

Displaying pure white for a long period of time across the entire monitor will make the screen burn look less obvious by burning the entire surface area!

That's fairly bad...but you can always replace the CRT. In an eMac it's somewhat more difficult, but still possible. I've become very intimate with my own eMac. :)

Yeah, I thought it looked worse than described. I don't feel like replacing anything at the moment, or buying an adapter to use an external monitor with it. I probably just end up going with an older G4 tower.

At least $250-300 for a basic one. A dual 1GHz G4 Quicksilver can go past $1000. I'm looking at a single 400-533MHz G4 tower. Which can usually be had for under a $110 on eBay including shipping.

Yes YOU can REDUCE screen burn, a joint one of my friends interned at in the 80's (when monitors were worth fixing) he worked at a place that refurbed monitors. To reduce screen burn you need a device to scan the monitor accurately and reproduce the video signal that caused the burn in reverse, however for this to be effective without wasting months one needs to be able to turn up the cathode voltage a significant amount and run the monitor until the background of the screen is burned nearly equal to the "burned" area. This has the side effect of dimming the screen slightly but a modest jump in voltage fixes that.

Remember even if done correctly the burned area will still look a little uneven but not as much as if you did nothing (this works best on mono monitors)

Cheers
Ryan

The one we have upstairs currently doesn't show any picture on the screen no matter how many parts I replace. Kind of unfortunate, as I'd much rather be able to actually sell you one.

Oh, that sucks. Let me know what comes in, I'm sure I'll always want to upgrade! Are you sure that the monitor is compatiable with the MAC? Try a newer High-resolution monitor. Worst problem could be a bad logic board (motherboard).

I tried an Apple Studio Display (21") that worked fine on a PC a few minutes before.

Yeah, once we get another one upstairs I'll try some part-swapping exercises to get down to the nitty-gritty...

Back