• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Screen is avoiding subtitles!

ziloo

Veteran Member
I wanted to watch a Japanese movie on my P4, and as you know it
I was counting on reading the subtitles. But as soon as the scene
with a subtitle comes up, the screen goes blank! When there is no
subtitle everything is fine! I don't find any viruses or malware on
the system. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Thank you

ziloo

Kinda obvious but I would try a different software program. I find MPlayer to be really slow but it tends to work, the best player I find is the Media Player Classic which has been recompiled and redistributed in a lot of codec packs. The link I threw ya is the sourceforge project so it'll probably be the cleanest version.

For DVDs I use media player classic, everything else VLC. VLC seems to have problems with some complex DVD extra menus for me. I think MPC handles scratched disks better too.

Would you please elaborate on the cause of the problem...

ziloo

There are multiple standards for subtitles; different programs support different subtitling methods. Your preferred program does not recognize how the subtitles were added to the movie.

Right, sorry for the misunderstanding lol. I wasn't indicating the problem itself was obvious, I was pointing out my suggestion was unfortunately a common answer instead of answering the problem itself.

As for the issue, yes I would think it's a bug in the software that you're currently using (which application is it by the way?). Perhaps there are some updates for it that take care of the issue, although I really love media player classic. Load your video, ctrl+enter to full screen it, use your number pad to stretch it out a bit more if it's one of those annoying wide screen movies that only takes advantage of half of your monitor size.

VLC is one my friends use also, it has support for external subtitle files as well which is neat if you have a movie but no subtitles in your language.

Thanks everybody for your comments! I downloaded Media Player Classic and
it works very nicely (thank you barythrin :)). I will also download and try the
VLC and see its performance.

ziloo

Back