• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

scsi card readers and more

mech

I hope its ok to post this here, but i have setup a online shopping cart (easier than dealing with 100's of emails)and i have a large quantity of brand new SCM PCD-50B 50 pin narrow scsi card readers. These work great in many old computers with scsi and can be used as a hard drive.I use these in my amiga's and a few other friends use them in Apples/Macs and Atari's. I take PAYPAL only and ship worldwide.

Note that some apple controllers do not supply termination power and may need a diode soldered in,please check the user reviews on the shopping cart for info on this.

Some apple scsi controllers also dont deal with LUNS well, so you may need the pcd-50B + pcmcia to cf adapter(with or without the cf cards i sell). This allows you to simple address it as device 2 instead of device 2,lun 1 for example.

You can add stuff to the cart and then hit the "Estimate Shipping" button,then enter your country or zipcode in the second window and then hit UPDATE to get actual ship costs.

Might help to add the url :).. www.a4000t.com

Thanks,
Mike

From a satisfied customer...

Ordered 2 a while ago to use with Atari 8-bit set-ups. Already added parity and termination power to my SCSI hosts a long while. Absolutely the best hard disk replacement for vintage systems with SCSI.

Just ordered a 3rd one for my daily PC set-up.

I have an old Mac Quadra computer with a SCSI-50 hard disk in pretty poor condition. I have been looking around for affordable options to replace the disk with an SD or CF card, but so far haven't had much luck. I visited the link above and got no response. The root of the domain just said "Mechs www!". Will that site be coming back online? Does anyone else know of a solution to my problem? It's quite easy to do this with IDE drives, but SCSI is proving to be difficult. I don't want to see my collection go defunct because Apple felt the need to be unique!

Thanks

Have you tried on AmiBay? the seller (mechware or something like that) was active on AmiBay in the past. I haven't been there in ages, so I don't know if he still is.

Last edited:
Might be a location/exposure thing Chuck.

Not being in the industry so to speak I've only ever seen one ;) That was on my 386DX25, but went DOA on the second day I powered it up. Yah for IDE!!

Shit, now that I think about it there are two in my Intergrah box as well as a scsi cdrom. That has an IDE header on the mobo as well.

The adapters do look pricey but if no other option is available it looks like they'll do the job.

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the resources! I don't believe there is a shortage of SCSI-50 drives, the problem is that hard drives are terrible technology. In an attempt to preserve my collection, I am looking for alternatives to hard drives in order to keep the computers running. Hard drives do and will fail. I'm attempting to do a similar thing to my '80s machines and their floppy drives, with SVDs (semi-virtual diskettes).
Anyway, if SCSI-50 can be adapted to IDE, my next question is, can anyone verify if the compatibility is as good as any other IDE bus? I want to be sure it will be compatible with whatever I throw at it. Probably an IDE to CF or SD adapter. Also I can't find any prices on http://www.scsi2ide.com/, and that makes me nervous. Also the navigation links on the top of that page all 404... I'm skeptical of who I send money to.
gslick, I did see that product in my search, it just seems rather expensive. I may consider this option some day, but not as long as the hard drive still works. The computer I am putting it in has cost my $18 USD total. Why is everything so expensive!?

Thanks

gslick, I did see that product in my search, it just seems rather expensive. I may consider this option some day, but not as long as the hard drive still works. The computer I am putting it in has cost my $18 USD total. Why is everything so expensive!?
Thanks

$72USD for a SCSI2SD ( http://shop.codesrc.com ) seems reasonable to me considering as far as I know it's a one man operation designing, assembling, and selling those and he's probably just breaking even for his efforts. By the time you add in shipping and tax it looks like it's closer to $100 though.

When the SCM PCD-50B that started this thread were available I think it was around $70 for one of those when I bought one.

Not what I would consider cheap, but also not what I would consider excessively expensive.

-Glen

Back