• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Seagate ST-277n. Low level format?

fjk61011

Veteran Member
I have a SCSI seagate st02 scsi card and an st-277n. The bios recognises the drive but fdisk doesn't.

Also with floppy drive controller in xt, can't access A:

You might need to low level format the drive. That era of SCSI drive does indeed low-level format. Typically, you use a format/initialization program provided with the SCSI card. Some later SCSI cards have formatting built in to their BIOS.

If it LL formats, and FDISK still does not work, then try the Norton Utilities sector editor to see if any of the drive is readable at all.

Floppy drive would be a separate issue. Are you saying it works without the SCSI card in, or just not at all? You would need to provide a lot more details (does the access light come on? Does the disk spin? Does the head seek? What error do you get? What model of controller? What kind of cable did you use?)

FDD works with st-02 remove. when scsi card is in fdd light stays on. No programme for st-227n. is there a debug command for llf st-277n?

That is the IBM 5.25" Diskette Drive Adapter, the floppy controller that IBM supplied in the PC and XT.
See [here].

Also with floppy drive controller in xt, can't access A:
Floppy drive would be a separate issue. Are you saying it works without the SCSI card in, or just not at all? You would need to provide a lot more details (does the access light come on? Does the disk spin? Does the head seek? What error do you get? What model of controller? What kind of cable did you use?)
FDD works with st-02 remove. when scsi card is in fdd light stays on.
The 'floppy controller' functionality within the ST02 (photo at [here]) will conflict with the IBM 5.25" Diskette Drive Adapter.

Looking at the installation guide for the ST02, available at [here], there is no jumper to disable the ST02's floppy controller functionality.
Try removing the IBM 5.25" Diskette Drive Adapter, and connecting the floppy cable to the ST02 instead.

You might need to low level format the drive. That era of SCSI drive does indeed low-level format. Typically, you use a format/initialization program provided with the SCSI card. Some later SCSI cards have formatting built in to their BIOS.

If it LL formats, and FDISK still does not work, then try the Norton Utilities sector editor to see if any of the drive is readable at all.
No programme for st-227n. is there a debug command for llf st-277n?
Note that SomeGuy used "card", not "drive".

An installation guide for the ST02 is at [here]. In regards to low-level formatting an attached drive, the guide indicates that Seagate supplied a DOS program named INSTALLR.
Someone probably has that, or it is still at Seagate's FTP site.
Maybe SpeedStor software will work for the task.

Looking at the installation guide for the ST02, available at [here], there is no jumper to disable the ST02's floppy controller functionality.
I have to take that back. At the end of the installation guide is an addendum, where it is stated that for the "newer board layout", the one that has a BIOS ROM of version 3.3, there is now the "ability to disable the floppy controller portion on the ST02." And further down, it is shown for that board layout, that a jumper on JP7 will do the disabling.

An installation guide for the ST02 is at [here]. In regards to low-level formatting an attached drive, the guide indicates that Seagate supplied a DOS program named INSTALLR.
Someone probably has that, or it is still at Seagate's FTP site.
Maybe SpeedStor software will work for the task.
The FINDINIT.ZIP at [here] will probably do the task, because the FINDINIT.DOC within it contains "ST-02".

I have'nt managed to get the fdd working with SCSI in place. I've got a backpack fdd and will install that and go from there.

I've managed to put findinit on the XT-IDE drive and run it from there. It detects the SCSI drive but I get a format error. Me thinks the SCSI drive is dead.

i have a Supermicro Pentium II . I disabled the onboard SCSI and used the ST02 card which detects the the sT-277n. However the FDD drive doesn't work.

... the ST02 only works for Seagate HDDs.
Where did you source that information from?

The only limitations that I can find are:
- At [here]: Early BIOS revisions may have a drive size restriction.
- Installation guide for the ST01/ST02: The version 3.3 BIOS supports drives with more than 1024 cylinders.

Back