• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Sega TeraDrive [286] with XT-IDE V2 Card

RetroJunkie

Experienced Member
Howdy everyone,

I've got my Sega TeraDrive booting disk on modules without any issues to my shiny XT-IDE V2 card.
However, I am running 2.0.0b1 and was hoping to give 2.0.0b2 a shot.
But... For the life of me I can't remember what settings were used.
I have a copy of the EEPROM uploaded here and here.
Can anyone work out what my settings are under 2.0.0b1?
Thanks in advance to anyone who can help! :)

Thanks for replying, so that should work?
I had tried that and tried replicating the same settings in 2.0.0b2 without any success.
It just simply fails to find any attached storage / device.
Maybe 2.0.0b2 just isn't compatible with the TeraDrive!
Oh well, I'll just keep enjoying 2.0.0b1 then! :D

Yes, that should work. The problem might be the ATA-ID validation introduced in r441. That has since been fixed so r487 or newer should work. If you don't want to wait for the next release and can't build the BIOS yourself, just PM me your e-mail address and I'll send a copy of the latest revision for testing.

Reporting back that it worked perfectly! Thanks Krille!

Also just for reference I'm using 2GB KingSpec KDM-40VS.2-002GMS disk on modules (40-pin).
Sadly they don't support 5V running along pin 20, but they do work :D
I did also have some Transcend 4GB DoMs but they wouldn't recognise properly (incorrect name detected, etc).
Too bad as they were powered by pin 20! Oh well :)

One other thing, I noticed that the 8 KiB builds don't have the overlay menu by default.
I did have that functionality previously, any ideas on how I'd go about getting it? Or would it be best / easier to get a bigger EEPROM?

Another other thing I noticed is that XTIDECFG reports that "Image is too large for selected EEPROM type!" when trying to flash back.
If you read the setting from the EEPROM, change something or even nothing, it reports the above error.

Thanks again for all the help! :)

Wow, Sega TeraDrive is very cool.

By the way, JIS 1st+2nd Kanji Font ROM is integrated in EPROM. (256KB)
Can you find Kanji Font on EPROM?

According to Kanji Rom from IBM PC JX, this is mapped via I/O port 1FFh.
A by using SRAM or VRAM.

Good question, I have no idea! I've had a poke around but couldn't see anything after having a brief look over it.
Here's the Model 2 and Model 3 BIOS for anyone to inspect.

Download Link

Report back if you find anything way past cool! :D

Reporting back that it worked perfectly! Thanks Krille!

Sorry for the delayed response!

I did also have some Transcend 4GB DoMs but they wouldn't recognise properly (incorrect name detected, etc).
Too bad as they were powered by pin 20! Oh well :)

I would guess that this is the hardware problem mentioned in the wiki. I have no idea what the problem is.

One other thing, I noticed that the 8 KiB builds don't have the overlay menu by default.
I did have that functionality previously, any ideas on how I'd go about getting it? Or would it be best / easier to get a bigger EEPROM?

If you can use a bigger EEPROM then that's definitely the best solution. If not, then you'll have to make your own custom build of the BIOS with MODULE_BOOT_MENU added but this also means that you'll have to sacrifice some other module to make it all fit in 8 KB.

Another other thing I noticed is that XTIDECFG reports that "Image is too large for selected EEPROM type!" when trying to flash back.
If you read the setting from the EEPROM, change something or even nothing, it reports the above error.

Did you select the correct EEPROM type ("2864 mod (8 kiB)" when using an XT-IDE V2 card)?

Always wanted to find one of those systems. Very cool computer by a gaming company :) Are you able to access the ROM carts via the OS or is it more of just a gaming console built into the case but independent of the computer?

Ok, then do you have original disk (DOS or other) of each Tera Drive?
If you can dump it by Teledisk or other, thanks.
Here's the original disks and the DUMP1000.BIN (64KB) that was created. Use WinImage for duplicating the floppies.
IBM DOS J4.0-V Rev 4.06.imz
IBM DOS J5.0-V Rev 1.2.imz
DUMP1000.BIN

I would guess that this is the hardware problem mentioned in the wiki. I have no idea what the problem is.
Sounds spot on to me!

If you can use a bigger EEPROM then that's definitely the best solution. If not, then you'll have to make your own custom build of the BIOS with MODULE_BOOT_MENU added but this also means that you'll have to sacrifice some other module to make it all fit in 8 KB.
Bigger EEPROMs are already on order! :D

Did you select the correct EEPROM type ("2864 mod (8 kiB)" when using an XT-IDE V2 card)?
Yep that was selected, it's no deal breaker though and with a larger EEPROM, hopefully the problem will not show again.

Always wanted to find one of those systems. Very cool computer by a gaming company :) Are you able to access the ROM carts via the OS or is it more of just a gaming console built into the case but independent of the computer?

Keep looking, one will turn up for you one day :)
It's still a bit of a grey area as to how far the PC side can tinker with the Mega Drive side of things.
It uses the controller ports of the Mega Drive, so there's some talk going on between the PC and MD sides.
Here's some video of me showing off Puzzle Construction.

Last edited:
I think it seems to be possible to dump Kanji ROM by IBM PS/55 (Japanese Model of PS/2) Kanji Driver.
But I don't know how to analyze.

http://ftp.vector.co.jp/pack/dos/hardware/console/vtext/fontp10b.lzh

FONTBSE.EXE <-- Load Kanji Font Driver on EMS
FONTBSX.EXE <-- Load Kanji Font Driver on XMS

http://ftp.vector.co.jp/pack/dos/writing/fonttool/conv/fontrom.lzh

FONTROM Driver for IBM PS/55 Note

(DEVICE=c:\path\FONTROM.SYS /a=hhhh , Enable to load Kanji FONT on memory Mapper at Segment hhhh, hhhh : C000-DE00)

Yes, I think TeraDrive KANJI must be same font of PS/55 series.

Any chance of a compiled version? :D
I keep pulling the TeraDrive down to do things to it off the shelf.
It's up quite high and these old IBM machines are built solid! I should weigh it actually...!

According to author of this source, this is for pc boot problem.
I don't know how to compile this.

Back