• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Selling my Dad's Computer Collection

JBlaiklock

Hey guys,

This seems like the right place/format to post this, but if not you'll have to forgive me.

My dad was a big fan of vintage computers and after his passing early this year, I've still got his collection here at the house and I'm not quite sure what to do with it. I'd like to hand this stuff off to folks who can appreciate it as opposed to just a reseller, so I came here. I'm not sure if there's a better place to post this, if there is somebody please let me know. If this is something people are interested in I'm willing to just take the highest of whatever people bid for it, with two caveats:

- You have to take it all. I don't know enough about the equipment to know for sure what goes with what (beyond the stuff that's obviously branded) so I'm selling the lot. Plus I'm moving in a few weeks.

- You'd have to come pick it up. I live in NH, and because of the amount of stuff it'd be a nightmare to ship. Which I realize narrows things down a lot, but I can't think of a better way.

If you're near enough that you'd like to, I'd be happy to let folks come by and inspect everything beforehand. Or I can send more detailed photos of some stuff, so long as you can tell me specifics.

Here's the list, and a link to the picture gallery:

Pictures: https://imgur.com/a/09M8kgF

Adam Colecovision + Expansion, Printer, Data Tape
Atari 800XL + Games & Disks
Radio Shack TRS-80 (x5) + 3 Folders of Disks
Mattel Aquarius (in box with manuals)
Texas Instruments TI-99 + 4 Folders of Disks
Toshiba Tecra
Apple II Plus (x2) + Peripherals, Boxes of Software Disks
Apple Macintosh 512k + Mouse, Keyboard, and Peripherals
Compaq Plus Suitcase Computer
Toshiba T1100 Plus
Tandy 1100 Laptop
Tandy 102 Laptop
Apple Powerbook 150
Sinclair ZSX80 + Bin of Software
Commodore 64 + Bin of Accessories & Games
Gorilla Banana Printer
Citizen MSP-40 Printer

Thanks guys.

Hey guys,

This seems like the right place/format to post this, but if not you'll have to forgive me.

My dad was a big fan of vintage computers and after his passing early this year, I've still got his collection here at the house and I'm not quite sure what to do with it. I'd like to hand this stuff off to folks who can appreciate it as opposed to just a reseller, so I came here. I'm not sure if there's a better place to post this, if there is somebody please let me know. If this is something people are interested in I'm willing to just take the highest of whatever people bid for it, with two caveats:

- You have to take it all. I don't know enough about the equipment to know for sure what goes with what (beyond the stuff that's obviously branded) so I'm selling the lot. Plus I'm moving in a few weeks.

- You'd have to come pick it up. I live in NH, and because of the amount of stuff it'd be a nightmare to ship. Which I realize narrows things down a lot, but I can't think of a better way.

If you're near enough that you'd like to, I'd be happy to let folks come by and inspect everything beforehand. Or I can send more detailed photos of some stuff, so long as you can tell me specifics.

Here's the list, and a link to the picture gallery:

Pictures: https://imgur.com/a/09M8kgF

Adam Colecovision + Expansion, Printer, Data Tape
Atari 800XL + Games & Disks
Radio Shack TRS-80 (x5) + 3 Folders of Disks
Mattel Aquarius (in box with manuals)
Texas Instruments TI-9WeP-40 Printer

Thanks guys.

Welcome to the forum. It would help your cause to put your location in your profile.

As a lot, the offered prices may not be close to the real value. It would be better to have some local collector broker the items for a percentage. I'm not the person you want as I'm on the other side of the US.
This would give that person to first make a judgement as to the operational state of the machines. Also, in some cases, things like disk drives are considered additional items and should not be considered as part of the computer they are with. In some cases the disk drives are built in. If the drive is considered an addition, it should be sold with the disk controller. Again, operational status is important. I see you have a monitor. If the monitor is working it have greater value than if not. A non-working monitor is usually considered as hazardous waste while a working one is desired by many.
I suspect, you have neither the time or the knowledge to dealing with individual items. You should still get fare value for the items you have. Even the difference between working and non-working machines is quite significant. Just because the red LED lights does not indicate a working machine.
Dwight

As a lot, the offered prices may not be close to the real value.

But that's a concession he's probably willing to make, this is a Wholesale sale, not retail.

It would be better to have some local collector broker the items for a percentage.
Or some local knowledgable collector can take the whole lot and keep/sell what they want as they see fit. No reason to do it for a "percentage". The percentage is the gross profit on the net sales over the original purchase.

All of the things you mention take time and expertise, neither of which this person has. Which is why some intrepid, knowledgeable investor can make a tidy profit on this if they're local, have the base capital to buy the lot, and the time and inclination to evaluate and lot it all out through other channels.

That is a very mixed bag. Lots of folks would want one or more bits but not all. So the Apple bits to an Apple enthusiast, the Adam to an Adam collector etc.
Some one who takes the lot is taking on a lot of work. Of course that is what you want but I expect they will reflect that in the price they offer.

Yeah, to be honest I'm not too concerned about the price. It indeed would be a fair bit of work, so I'd take whatever somebody thought was fair.

I've already gone the facebook marketpalce route, and everybody that responded there just wanted the apples and nothing else. I can't bring myself to throw the rest out so I came over this way in the hopes that somebody else would want the rest, or at the very least would be so kind as to not tell me they're going to throw it out themselves.

Yeah, to be honest I'm not too concerned about the price. It indeed would be a fair bit of work, so I'd take whatever somebody thought was fair.

I've already gone the facebook marketpalce route, and everybody that responded there just wanted the apples and nothing else. I can't bring myself to throw the rest out so I came over this way in the hopes that somebody else would want the rest, or at the very least would be so kind as to not tell me they're going to throw it out themselves.

I am a bit surprised no one went for the other stuff but Facebook market place is a swine to search and find stuff though.
I think I would try four or five "bundles" , so perhaps the "Apple", the "TRS80", the "Adam Colecovision (They are special)" and the "rest"...
You may struggle to move the printers., goodwill?

The other approach, that I think might work would be a garage sale. You have to advertise though. Craigs List?

Just managed to sell this to a guy looking to put together some old stuff for his kid, who's into computers and electronics. So all's well that ends well. Thanks guys.

I'm not local, but I wanted to say I'm very sorry for the loss of your father. His collection looks like it has several gems. Don't throw any of it out as trash; this whole website's existence is proof that someone wants any given thing in the pictures.

Facebook Marketplace is probably the best place to put up things for sale for local pickup only. Next would be Craigslist, then Nextdoor, then Freecycle (stipulation for Freecycle is that everything offered on Freecycle is free). Then there is eBay of course, where you can specify local pickup only.

Back