• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Senior Member status

CP/M User

Veteran Member
I hate to pull an Us & Them problem to Erik - I just find it somewhat frustrating that I've been here since 2003 (admittably there's been a off and on gap), though I've got over 2000 posts to my credit and yet I have the same title as some of the people who have been here for a couple of years (or in some cases under a year) and have obtained the same title with only a couple a hundred posts to their name.

However I didn't want to pull rank by the number of posts I have, I thought it would be better to have something which works out what Date you joined and post a status based on how long you've been here (if possible) cause it seems ridiculous to call a Newbie somebody who's been here since 2003 and has either not posted or has a couple of posts to their name.

CP/M User.

I agree with you, Iv not been a member ALL that long and only ~260something posts and do not consider myself a senior member... seems IIRC that senior member status was given @ 100 posts? should be a lot high IMHO. 1000? 2000? 5000? I dunno, I dont think it really matters all that much, /shrug

One receives that title at 100 posts I believe. I THINK it goes something to the effect of 10 = member and 100 = Senior Member.

On a side note its just an internet forum, its not like its a really important title or anything.

You folks are funny. . . but I'm with ya.

Post your list of proposed titles and associated post counts and I'll see what I can do. :D

You folks are funny. . . but I'm with ya.

Post your list of proposed titles and associated post counts and I'll see what I can do. :D

perhaps...

<100 posts = Junior Member
<1000 posts = Member
<5000 posts = Senior Member
<10000 Posts = Super Duper Master of All That is Aged and Antiquated :)

I've always been more interested in the quality of the posts than the quantity. There are a lot of people out there who should have their mouths taped shut. ;-0

What? I disagree! I have worked hard to get my 590+ posts of pure knowledge on here, and I don't want my "senior member" rank stripped! If you do change the tags go by something like:

<100 Junior Member
>100 but <250 member
>250 but <1000 Valuable contributor
1000+ Senior member

Or perhaps something fun? Like taking requests for the name they have. FrozenFire75i could be "IBM master" myself the "AT&T wiz" Mbbrutman the "PCjr handyman" so on and so-forth. I think I have seen it done here with someone who had only a few posts... The manual guy or something like that? Heck, if this software for the forum can do it, have it be based on a ratio of posts to join date, or we could start rating our members. Why have the system of stuff anyhow? It can't accurately represent us. Some poeple only have 100 posts in, but with crucial information. More posts doesn't make a better member. I can name a few people on the forums who have like 1K posts of invaluable crap. None of you who have posted on this thread though...

--Ryan

EDIT: seems I am editing this posts just after posting, it won't show as an edit below, but still: Just realized Mike pointed out exactly what I said above thus making this post useless. Well, I guess he forgot the ranking system above ;-)

Last edited:
I have 600+ posts and have been here since 2003 I think.. titles mean nothing.

In another forum I frequent quite a bit (www.68kmla.net) we did away with all ranks and postcounts because of people (kids mostly) who wanted top ranks and would post 99% offtopic to get it. Things are much better there now.

Anybody that frequents here knows the people that can help them and who has some knowledge about what just by reading topics they are interested in. Do I care if some noob thinks I am top dog by how many posts I have or by rank? No I don't.

We've seemed to have jumped off the original request I was proposing and personally I wasn't trying to change things based on the number of posts people had but rather have a naming system based on the Number of Days since you joined The Vintage Computer Forum.

Erik - when you converted your forum from a PHPBB free system to an expensive vBulletin I was under the impression you could do just about anything with it. Yes vBulletin is quite nice, though surely it have some common sense applied to and members can be titled based on how long it's been since they signed up - after all it just seems unfair that some "zero poster" who signed up in 2003 be dubbed a newbie isn't it? Yes it's terrible that they don't post though.

Perhaps if other members want their own slogans and it's possible to have your own slogan then I suppose that's fine given if the number of days you've been here doesn't work on this board.

I can name a few people on the forums who have like 1K posts of invaluable crap. None of you who have posted on this thread though...

--Ryan
(whatever happened to Atari2600 anyhow?)

Still thar, just lurking though now that I've picked up a few more hobbies, namely vinyl record collecting & quite possibly antique television restoration.

Not to worry, however! I can easily start fludding the forums with massive threads of invaluable crap it you'd like! ^_^

I don't bother with designations, funny icons and such. It would be better to assign which areas you have special interests or skills within, i.e. after 200 posts you got access to a form where you could check three or four of the forum areas which are your special strengths, and these display below your user name:

carlsson
Commodore & Programming Expert

mbbrutman
Moderator; IBM, Programming, ...

and so on.

Generally on other forums you get poked for posting too much, even if most of your posts are on-topic. Once there was a forum that lets the user delete his old posts, so I went through and purged more than 50% of the posts I had made previously. Of course it screwed up discussion threads: quotes to non-existing messages, broken comments etc, but at least my post count didn't stick out afterwards.

Are titles indicating status really that important? Is that what we come here for?

I say leave them as they are, or do away with them altogether.

Yes I like Carlsson's idea to have members titled based on knowledge of an interest they have or are able to some programming or problem solving with Vintage Computers. Those kinds of titles could potentially assist others to ask these people questions (ideally it would be better on the forum board, though some members here seem to use the PMing service more so). Otherwise you have to click on every member here to see if there's any interests listed. Possibly after 200 posts is a good starting point to put those titles in place.

My favorite example of a user with a low posting count but great signal-to-noise ratio is Modem7. 458 posts, and most of them are gems.

I don't think the rankings matter. They just tell you how prolific a person is, not if their posts are worth reading. Reputation matters far more.

I don't think it is possible to come up with a system that will serve everyone - People asking for a re-jig of the existing system to show some degree of seniority over other members, whereas as mbbrutman has just shown, in not an insignificant number of cases there are clever people out there who keep their traps shut unless they have something important to say, and say it well - Should these people be marked under others for being careful over what they say?

I for example used to be (Don't know if I stillam) one of the members with the highest number of posts. Am I also one of the most knowledgeable members? I think not. I just asked lots of questions

By post count or by join date, it is impossible to mark the wisdom of all forum members as a whole. Yes, it's a good indication, but the current system means that everyone who contributes more than once in a blue moon is marked together, the simplest way to do it. I think we should keep it as it is.

Besides, if we do change the rank system based on posts/join date, Terry would go mad with power.

Besides, if we do change the rank system based on posts/join date, Terry would go mad with power.

What do you mean GO :)

For whatever my opinion is worth, I never even noticed when I went from member to senior member, nor do I care.

Oneupmanship is a very pathetic sport and I refuse to indulge in it. I came here, not too long ago, to ask questions of people who's knowledge I have come to respect. I try and do my bit to help people who need help and I try to interject a little humour here and there.

I have over 800 posts, but, have I said anything yet? I don't know.

I've made several friends on this forum, some of whom I may meet and some whom I will never know outside of e-mail. I value their knowledge and opinions, although I might not always agree with them.

I've got good suggestions and good information and learned a few things. THAT'S what I'M here for. That and the camaraderie of people with common interests.

Post count, titles and crap like that, to me, is a minor way to feed one's ego by being "better" than someone else. Who cares?

I'd just as soon not have a ranking or a post count. I highly doubt it's going to impress anyone.

bbcmicro wrote:

I don't think it is possible to come up with a system that will serve everyone - People asking for a re-jig of the existing system to show some degree of seniority over other members, whereas as mbbrutman has just shown, in not an insignificant number of cases there are clever people out there who keep their traps shut unless they have something important to say, and say it well - Should these people be marked under others for being careful over what they say?

Well if you apply that rule then the smartest people around here are the ones who don't post at all! ;-)

I for example used to be (Don't know if I stillam) one of the members with the highest number of posts. Am I also one of the most knowledgeable members? I think not. I just asked lots of questions

And I just start a lot of pointless threads to boost people's posts ;-)

But seriously though I'm not sure if it's possible here, though another forum I visit has the ability of withholding your number of posts from increasing depending on which section of the forum you post in, namely the chit-chat section on that forum (which most people post in strangely enough) doesn't increase your level of posts. Perhaps something similar could be done here for the General Off-Topic and Rants section?

By post count or by join date, it is impossible to mark the wisdom of all forum members as a whole. Yes, it's a good indication, but the current system means that everyone who contributes more than once in a blue moon is marked together, the simplest way to do it. I think we should keep it as it is.

I think Terry has already gone mad with power! ;-)

CP/M User said:
Well if you apply that rule then the smartest people around here are the ones who don't post at all! ;-)

I wouldn't be at all surprised if that were true ;)

Also, I think Druid6900 surmised my feelings exactly - *Applause*

CP/M User said:
I think Terry has already gone mad with power! ;-)
Half right.

Back