• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Sequensing MIDI DRIVER Cakewalk 3.0 DOS

JT64

Experienced Member
I've installed the drivers for my soundblaster pro 1350B they work great on my PC-XT and the Voyetra GOLD sequenser plus.

However i found an old backup of Cakewalk 3.0 but there was no drivers on the backup disk, i was thinking Cakewalk would use some kind of generic midi drivers. But when i start it report no mididevice found.

Could anyone point me to a solution or maybe the correct driver for SB PRO, that will make the sequenser find the MPU-401 compatible?
Or maybe the SB PRO is not MPU 401 compatible?

JT

You might need to check for settings in CONFIG.SYS or AUTOEXEC.BAT. Sometimes the SoundBlaster setup program creates the right entries, but it seems like I recall that does not always happen. I certainly don't remember the settings but those things were sure NOT plug and play!

The soundblaster drivers is loaded and works, there is some special VAPI drivers for the Voyetra Gold sequenser and i tried with and without them, but it seem like Cakewalk did came with proprietary drivers for the soundblaster or for a MPU-401, and unfortunatly they are missing on the backup disk.

JT

http://www.oldschooldaw.com/forums/index.php?topic=506
see my thread here on cakewalk 4.0 which has some information about configuration.
cakewalk 3.0 is from 1988/1989 and may have relied on 100% mpu-401 compatibility which would require u have a certain type of roland compatible chipset midi card.
i would suggest u try 4.0 instead if you are looking to try this at all as 4.0 is from the early 90s at least abit more rooted in IBM AT architecture rather then the oldschool IBM XT.

this is why if u look at the graphic on the post on my site.. the first thing that is hilighted about v4.0 is that it "Supports more midi interfaces!"
also this is 4.0E which was the 5th or 6th revision of 4.0 .. with revisions most likely being for compatibility

Back