• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Service Pack 2

Vlad

For those who wish to save bandwidth by updating multiple computers or those who run a 32/64 bit mixed environment the following TechNet link has an ISO you can download that has a universal installer for Server 2008 and Vista all versions in both 32 and 64 bit. Handy thing to have on hand should you need to redeploy off an older install disc.

Please note that these service packs are unlike the previous ones of past Windows OS's and must be installed in order. SP1 first, then SP2.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/dd262148.aspx

Feel free to discuss the service pack(s) but don't post immature comments or nonsense like spelling Microsoft with a dollar sign. We're all adults so lets act like it. The above link also has downloads for standalone installers should you only run one architecture or for one reason or another don't want/need the ISO. It also has the installer for ia64 but I somehow doubt a basic enduser is going to be rocking an Itanium 2.

You can't slipstream updates into a Vista/Server2008 image due to the way the installer works. Vista and Server 08 use a much different install process than the past versions of Windows and while you can alter the images with MS utilities, they don't work with adding service packs for some reason. I don't really understand much about the image system Vista uses since I haven't had the time to look too far into it but I did look to see if the Slipstream thing worked and it apparently does not.

There are 3rd party ways of doing it but they have been known to cause problems later on down the line and are of course unsupported by MS.

Vlad, is there any way to slipstream the SP1 and SP2 into a single installation á la XP? That saved a heckuva lot of time when reloading.

On Monday I'll download Vista Ultimate with SP2 pre-applied direct from Microsoft. I don't think it's a big deal distributing the .ISO, since the license keys are the important part, anyway.

Ah, if you trust the pirates, there is already a torrent for it: http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4911979/Windows_Vista_SP2_RETAIL_(TechNet). If the SHA hash does indeed match what the TechNet website says, then you're good.

(Again: Because Microsoft free distributes the *DISCS*, I feel no qualms about directing people to places to download disc images. The install keys are the important parts to Microsoft.)

Service Pack 2

I downloaded winXPwith service pack 2 from a thread here. I needed to upgrade an old laptop I got for free.

But Im wondering if I can get MS updates with it or not. Ive never installed a "free" copy of windows before...

There must be some mistake. People here do not post that sort of thing and if they did it would get removed. I think XP is something you really should pay for or not use. I've seen it and it seems to work really well, but since I too do not want to pay for it - I use Linux. Try it, you'll like it. :)

Back