• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

setboard can't setup EEPROM on Intel above board

oblivion

Veteran Member
Trying to add some memory to my IBM AT with an Itel above board plus. when I run the setboard program it detects the board but when I try to set things up manually I get the "setboard can't setup EEPROM: error and it asks me to call IBM support. I tried setting things up manually as well several times and get the same error. any ideas? is it possible I can replace the EEPROM?

My recollection is that the AboveBoard uses a little 8 pin DIP for EEPROM, just like a lot of older NICs. So the package should stick out like a sore thumb.

Here are some images of the card. I don't think that the empty socket at the top of the board is the missing EEPROM as every image I have seen of this card has that socket empty. Since I'm using the card in a 286 the small socket near the bottom is empty as well.

Attachments

• photo61282.jpg
    photo61282.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 6
  • photo61283.jpg
    photo61283.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 6
Bummer, guess I'm stumped then, or it's just a bad card. could bad memory chips cause that error or is it definitely an issue with the EEPROM?

I'll need to check my aboveboard documentation. I have one of these in the original box somewhere, but to use mine in an AT system, I needed to have the a small socket jumpered. Removed, it works in an XT system. I'll confirm when I get home from work later today.

I actually had that backwards. It's jumpered in an XT/PC system, but unjumpered in an AT system. That does not help you any.
DSC00134-VS.JPG
DSC00135-VS.JPG
DSC00136-VS.JPG

I run one of these on an XT clone. Works fine--no problems. I have the shunt jumper in for 8 bit access; setup using the Intel software was no issue.

Perhaps you should try replacing the EEPROM.

I actually had that backwards. It's jumpered in an XT/PC system, but unjumpered in an AT system. That does not help you any.

Sir! If opportunity allows, please kindly scan that manual! Even bloor-ish phone photos are ok if you don't have a proper flatbed scanner. I have this board and would really enjoy reading the manual.

Sir! If opportunity allows, please kindly scan that manual! Even bloor-ish phone photos are ok if you don't have a proper flatbed scanner. I have this board and would really enjoy reading the manual.

I will! I actually purchased an overhead scanner just to scan manuals. It should only take a few minutes. I'll work on that this week.

I run one of these on an XT clone. Works fine--no problems. I have the shunt jumper in for 8 bit access; setup using the Intel software was no issue.

Perhaps you should try replacing the EEPROM.

Looks like every chip is soldered on. which one is the EEPROM? do you have any advice on where I would even find a replacement EEPROM?

How many 8 pin DIPs do you see on the PCB? (Hint: it's between 0 and 2). That's the EEPROM. Just to be sure, read the numbers off the chip and let's look them up.

Thanks, think I found it. funny enough though I would of thought it was one of the larger chips. I'll confirm the numbers next time I get the card out of the closet. Unfortunately, I can't solder to save my life.

Bummer, guess I'm stumped then, or it's just a bad card. could bad memory chips cause that error or is it definitely an issue with the EEPROM?

Early EEPROMs had a more limited "erase+reprogram" count than later products. It could have exceeded this.

These early small devices work a bit differently, IIRC. The EEPROM is "shadowed" with static RAM. In the case of the Xicor chips, the EEPROM is rated for 100K stores. Datasheet. I don't know if the one on the Aboveboard is of the same type, but it's likely.

I hate to resurrect an old thread, but I promised to scan and upload my Above Board documents that I had. I finally had a few hours to spare this morning and scanned the 254 page installation manual for the Above Board Plus 8 and the 18 Page Quick Installation guide for the Above Board AT. They can be downloaded here. https://buildyourbox.com/AboveBoardDocs.zip

Feel free to share or upload to your own archives.

Last edited:
I hate to resurrect an old thread, but I promised to scan and upload my Above Board documents that I had. I finally had a few hours to spare this morning and scanned the 254 page installation manual for the Above Board Plus 8 and the 18 Page Quick Installation guide for the Above Board AT. They can be downloaded here. https://buildyourbox.com/AboveBoardDocs.zip

Feel free to share or upload to your own archives.

Thank you very much! This is really kind of you!

Did your boxed version come with a driver floppy disk? Is it below 4.0?

Last edited:
Back