• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Setting up some old computers - but where do I get OS?

bugbomber

Hi there,

I would like to build some Retro-Computers. I let aside the Pre-Pentium-era for now, since it is hard to find good hardware.

System1: P233MMX with Voodoo1, 64MB edo-ram on TX-based board (win95b)

System2: PII 450 with TNT2, 128/256MB SDRAM, SCSI System on Asus P2B-S (Win2000 and 98SE)

System3: PIII-s 1.4 Tually with GF3 classic, 512MB SDRAM, ECS SIS-based board (WinXP 1st release, ME)

The parts are almost complete but my biggest pain is the Windows systems. I do not own an original XP disc without any Service PAck integrated. SInce SP1 was released in 2002 and the newest PC will be summer 2001, I have a problem here.
:)
I want it to be as original as possible.

Do you have any ideas where I could get an original first release XP prof. disc?

thx,
Markus

This forum is generally for 586 (1st gen Pentium 1) or older. It'll probably get moved to off topic.

That being said, all OS's up to Win98 can be had at Winworldpc.com

2000 and newer, you'll need to source the disks (or download images) and use legit serial keys if you want to be above board. This isn't the place to discuss other options.

So the answer to this question should start of with do you want it to be legit and legal?

If the answer is no, or I don't really care. Then there are places you can get it. Just google is (this forums is against copywright infringements, so no one should post openly where to get a non-legit copy).

If you want it legit and legal, then there are a few people on here who can sell you original licenced copies of Windows 95, 98, NT 4, 2k and possible XP. Myself included (I have several OEM copies of each that are up for grabs, just PM me).

Why? Everyone I knew installed every SP available. There was a reason they were issued, you know...

-CH-

I agree with this - I know it's not 'period correct' for when the machine would have been made, but had you owned that PC at the time, I bet you would have installed the service packs when they came out.

Having said that, it may well be important to you for a reason that only makes sense to you - the logical choice is not always the desirable one when it comes to a hobby like this.

In that case, the answer is to either track down a vintage copy online, or see lutiana's post above.

I would personally do the latter.

Back