• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

SGI 1600SW adapter card question

csfont

Hopefully this is the right area, since SGI folks are more likely to be familiar with this card -- if not, I'm happy to be redirected.

I've recently been going through my basement, and found an SGI 1600SW monitor (in the box!), along with a Revolution IV AGP card (with OpenLDI connector) and an Ultra-Flex GFX-1600SW PCI card (with DVI cable and OpenLDI connector).

The Ultra-Flex GFX-1600SW documentation says that it only takes power from the PCI bus, and won't show up as an actual device.

Since I don't actually have any SGI stuff, I figured I could test it in any ol' PC. But before I dig out an old PC (figured maybe I could test the AGP card and the PCI card in the same box, maybe my old Intellistation M Pro), I was wondering...

Has anyone had tried using the Ultra-Flex card in a modern computer with some kind of PCIe to PCI adapter? Or is there some better way to achieve this, to have the PCI card mounted securely beyond a motherboard's slots? Some of the adapters I've seen don't look like they'd be ideal for long-term use, but if there were a good solution, it might be fun to use this monitor.

Thx!

Attachments

• Ultra-Flex GFX-1600SW_card_iso.JPG
    Ultra-Flex GFX-1600SW_card_iso.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 13
Hi there,

It's been several years since I had a GFX-1600SW myself but if I recall correctly, only a couple signals are actually used from the PCI bus. Most certainly ground and power and there really isn't need for anything else, unless the card negotiates voltage since PCI can do either 3.3 or 5 or both).
If you look closely at the card you'll see several unpopulated components and if I remember mine, it looked almost like the card could be made to work standalone without a computer by supplying power.
It just depends if you're determined enough to try.

I'll happily buy the monitor and the card off you if you're willing, and I would certainly try running it standalone (albeit I do have several SGI machines to it in as well).

Cheers

The PCI edge connector is essentially a dummy and is only there as a mechanical support for the card and a convenient place to get power from without needing a molex plug and onboard regulators. Those PCIe to PCI adapters will work, provided they also give the PCI slot all the voltage rails a typical PCI card wanted.

Back