• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Sharing two drives between a CoCo and a Model 1 via an FD-502

Biff

Hi,
I was wondering how much of a hassle it would be to configure a dual drive FD-502 setup to work with either a CoCo or a Model 1.
I don't foresee wanting to use both systems at the same time - so I'd like to share some hardware between them - specifically, floppy drives.
Would I just need to use the Model 1's floppy cable with the missing teeth on both systems?

Years ago I bought a FD-502 and used it with a Model I. I did use a different cable (to match my system needs), added a second drive, and used the DS jumpers on the drives for drive selection. I don't know what the cable end needs to be for the color computer, but there is nothing inherent in the drives to make them incompatible.

I have an FD-500 that I do this with. The only challenge is getting that second drive. It will plug and play just fine, because they use jumpers not pins to select in the FD drive boxes (That I have encountered). In fact, I pulled the drive out of the FD-500 and put in two of my favorite drives, Mitsubishi M4851s.

Now this is interesting! I have a Minidisk (26-1160) with my Model 1, and a FD 501 drive with my Coco2. You're telling me that I can chain the FD 501 on the Minidisk and have a two-drive Model 1? I checked and the FD 501 plugs just fine behind the Minidisk! I've been looking for a second drive for my Model 1 at a decent price for years, and I had the solution right under my nose!

As long as you change the jumper if using two cabinets. Cooling fan if both in same cabinet. Still have the change jumper

Back