• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Sharp PC7000/7100 Expansion chassis recreation

Changed the layout a little to space out the caps a bit better. And expanded the 1 slot design into a second 3 slot design. Both need to be routed but i think this is pretty much final.

1 slot design:
CE700minE1slot.jpg

3 slot design:
CE700minE3slot.jpg

That's extremely cool! How are you doing slot selection, or is it a "dumb" bus and cards are responsible for their own decoding?
It's the same as a normal IBM compatible and it's ISA slots, although it's not fully compatible with all 8bit ISA cards. But that is mostly due to BIOS limitations of the Sharp computers and the lack of DMA control.

The pinheaders in the renders should be card edge connectors. But i can't find those in my Kicad installation and i've been to lazy to search for the proper library

So, BlahBlah1985, what's next for this project? Are you planning on making boards and selling them, or maybe open sourcing the project?

So, BlahBlah1985, what's next for this project? Are you planning on making boards and selling them, or maybe open sourcing the project?
I have to get a testbatch of these boards to make sure they work. If they work allright, I'll make the boards available through PCBway's shared projects system and also put the gerbers and schematics online for everyone who's interested. (I hope this is possible by the way, otherwise i'll just share the files online).

I also have a few weeks of vacation coming up, this will give me some time to make a Github page for this. Or some other site to share projects like this.

I've build up and tested both versions and both seem to be working as well as the real CE700E expansion chassis.
BothBuild.JPG

Athough, one thing did not go to plan at all. I had hoped that a PicoPSU would be able to power all 4 voltages the original can use. But it turnes out the -12V on a 160W model can barely support a 7905 negative voltage regulator, and completly craps out when a card (like a serial card) loads the -12V rail. The PSU still has it's positive voltages and so the USB card will come up fine.
Now, i really wanted all 4 rails to work. But... i realized i didn't own a single card that is compatable with this setup that actually uses the -5V. So I cut up an ATX supply (one that lacked -5V and that has been used to harvest connectors off in the past) and just connected the 12V, 5V, and -12V. Soldered up a little board with a relay and a diode to switch the PSU on as the main system comes up and tested the 3 slot version with that.
And with that, the Serial/Parallel card work aswell. The setup screen of the PC7100 shows that both Internal and External SIO is detected. (external SIO normaly shows "none").
3SlotTest1.JPG

3SlotTest2.JPG

Ext-SIOworking.JPG

I now need to focus on making a BOM for the project and getting some details right. (for example, the silkscreen on the 3 slot version has no IC model names on it, something the 1 slot version does have)

Thanks to some real life issues I never had the time to release or publish anything. This may still not be perfect, but i made a project over on PCB way so the project and files are available to everyone who wants to build it. So far it's just the one ISA slot version, the 3 slot version still needs some work.
I think you can get the boards using the PCB way page, but if i set everything up right the files can also be downloaded and sent of to a manufacturer of choice.
The project is here:
Project page

If I have some time I will edit the 3 slot version and upload it too, but it's not quite ready yet.

No. And to be honest, I completely forgot about it. Due to this renovation I have no immediate access to a lot of hardware, including my Sharp. So even if I changed the BIOS, I have no means to test it now.

Thanks for sharing, @BlaBla1985 !

@Ruud have you had time to work on the BIOS? It'd be really neat to be able to use some additional types of cards in the Sharp.

- Alex
I do wonder what other types of cards you'd like to use with the Sharp machines?

A good one would ofcourse be a video card, although i now have the CGA card that goes with the PC7000 (And if I ever have time i would really like to reverse engineer it and make a schematic for it as i can't find one online).

I have the schematics for the PC7100 CGA card but it's a large square Sharp special chip with some ram. And not the same pinout as the PC7000's one.

Mainly the XTIDE interface so I can use a CF card as HDD. The original one is not working at all.
Now that you mention that... that would be really usefull...

Since those USB cards work without a bios change (although they need the driver loaded via floppy) I kinda thought to myself "good enough".

I just noticed that you need a PCBway account to download or view the files. So, here is a ZIP archive with all the gerber files, schematics and the manual for the original expansion chassis
I've put the wrong Service Manual in the zip file, that's the one that just houses an MFM harddisk. Attached is the correct Service Manual, sorry about that.

Attachments

• CE700E-710E-700D_SM_GB.zip
    2.4 MB · Views: 12
Me pregunto qué otros tipos de tarjetas le gustaría usar con las máquinas Sharp.

Por supuesto, una buena sería una tarjeta de video, aunque ahora tengo la tarjeta CGA que va con la PC7000 (y si alguna vez tengo tiempo, realmente me gustaría aplicarle ingeniería inversa y hacer un esquema, ya que no puedo encontrar uno en línea).

Tengo los esquemas para la tarjeta CGA PC7100 pero es un chip especial Sharp cuadrado grande con algo de RAM. Y no el mismo pinout que el del PC7000.
Hello, do you know if an mda card could be connected to the board you created? , and a query how did you connect a gotek unit to the pc7000? Thank you and congratulations on your achievements

Back