• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Should I back out of this eBay sale?

If all sellers would think like this, many of us would have a hard time buying stuff we are not familiar with, don't you think?

Keep in mind that selling on ebay is not a favor you do someone. You agreed on a purchase contract. If he pays in time, you have to deliver. You can not just cancel the sale because you think the buyer has no clue about how to use it. Imagine for a second you are the buyer and a seller would do that to you.
Timo:
The point is that this particular buyer has no clue as to what he's buying and if he has a problem setting it up or decides he just doesn't want it, then he could go back to Ebay and complain that it doesn't work and request a refund and the seller would have to pay shipping. No fair to the seller.

Cancel the sale.
Even if he doesn't know what he's getting into that isn't your problem unless you bungled your listing photo or description. If someone makes an offer and then commits to buy and then immediately says they don't yet have the money, call it mean but you have no reason to be doing business with them until the money appears. FOMO isn't an excuse, especially on a P4 Dell machine.
I've given leniency before but absolutely no longer than 48 hours. Ebay gets antsy after that point.

Timo:
The point is that this particular buyer has no clue as to what he's buying and if he has a problem setting it up or decides he just doesn't want it, then he could go back to Ebay and complain that it doesn't work and request a refund and the seller would have to pay shipping. No fair to the seller.
This is my thoughts exactly. Like I said, I’m not interrogating everyone person that buys things from me, that would be rude and unacceptable. I’ve only asked THIS particular seller questions because they seem like they really don’t know what they are doing, and that WILL become my problem when they get it and can’t figure out how to even turn it on. They’ll just tell eBay it’s broken and force me to refund them.
Cancel the sale.
Even if he doesn't know what he's getting into that isn't your problem unless you bungled your listing photo or description. If someone makes an offer and then commits to buy and then immediately says they don't yet have the money, call it mean but you have no reason to be doing business with them until the money appears. FOMO isn't an excuse, especially on a P4 Dell machine.
I've given leniency before but absolutely no longer than 48 hours. Ebay gets antsy after that point.
I’ll sweat it out two more days so I can cancel it for a “non paying buyer.” And not scar my eBay reputation. I don’t think he’s going to pay in the next two days anyway.

I agree though, I haven’t even touched this machine since all of this started because I haven’t been payed. I’m not configuring or packing a system up until I get payed.
A blemish on the pristine reputation of the waffle house is a sad day for us all. 🧇
Lol!

ebay isnt what it usednto be. .wanna hear something thst drove me to a night of drinking last week? I got my first negative feedback in 23 years.. After an hour on the phone with ebay.. it didnt get better.. sellers are at the unreasonable mercy of ebay.

I too have gone out of my way for all my buyers. But one asshole can ruin it for the rest.

Last edited:
ebay isnt what it usednto be. .wanna hear something thst drove me to a night of drinking last week? I got my first negative feedback in 23 years.. After an hour on the phone with ebay.. it didnt get better.. sellers are at the unreasonable mercy of ebay.

I too have gone out of my way for all my buyers. But one asshole can ruin it for the rest.
I haven't received a ding yet, but I did get a "neutral" from some idiot in the Tampa area concerning the motherboard that I sold him that was still in warranty, "took too long to post" he said. He went on to complain that that was exactly the problem with his previous motherboard of the same type. You bet it's all about the buyers on Ebay.

Back