• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Should I get a 5151 or a 5153 monitor?

You know that it requires a video signal to power up, yet you post this. Totally contradictory lol
no its not. I am stating the seller said they were incapable of powering it up because "they lacked the power supply". I am stating that line is garbage.. Because it is.

And the seller charging $375.00 for it "untested" "but came from a reputable source" is also garbage.

And were you really "laughing out loud" ? really? contrarian for no particular reason.

Last edited:
If you look at the other stuff he sells, he's certainly not into vintage computers, or computers at all. While I understand your point, it's not always the best to think all people are bad.

If you look at the other stuff he sells, he's certainly not into vintage computers, or computers at all. While I understand your point, it's not always the best to think all people are bad.
agreed. Guess I have been burned by sellers too much. Still doesnt explain the high price for as is.

no its not. I am stating the seller said they were incapable of powering it up because "they lacked the power supply". I am stating that line is garbage.. Because it is.

And the seller charging $375.00 for it "untested" "but came from a reputable source" is also garbage.

And were you really "laughing out loud" ? really? contrarian for no particular reason.
No I was not really laughing. I was attempting to soften my tone, but since you rejected that I will attempt no longer.

It is impossible to test a 5151 without a MDA source. You know this, I know this. Regardless of whether the seller did in fact plug it into an IEC plug, get no raster, and assume it was broken or simply give up because they are unaware of the "reversed" IEC cord, the result is the same - the monitor is in FACT untested. I do not care about your assessment of their character, it does not change the facts of the item in trade.

The 5151 is iconic and matches the look of the PC perfectly, but otherwise is not really a great monitor, due to its large border area around the image (even the blank raster doesn't fill up the CRT) and loooooong persistence phosphor.

The 5153 is an excellent CGA monitor, if you don't mind the very reflective CRT. The Tandy CM-11 has much more of an anti-glare coating on it.

Their character? Nope . Dont put words in my mouth I never claimed anything like that. I said the line was garbage... and selling an untested monitor at that price is garbage. I made no comment to thier character.

And your tone was fine until you added juvenile internet lingo. " But hey thats just like my opinion man"images (1).jpeg

Last edited:
You do have to be careful of people that say they cannot test something. While many are being truthful some definitely are trying to pull one over on you. A little while back I tried to buy a Honda Accord on Facebook marketplace for a good price. The seller said they lost the key. I sent them a message saying that I had a scanner that could program a new key and that I’d be happy to swing by, program a key, and if we could get it started I’d pay them their full asking price. They never responded. I’m almost certain that the car had major issues and they “lost the key” so that no one could try to start it.

You do have to be careful of people that say they cannot test something. While many are being truthful some definitely are trying to pull one over on you.
In just about any other situation I would agree with this. The 5151 is unique since it doesn't even power up without a sync pulse. 99% of people in the world either: 1) don't know this 2) don't have an MDA source to test with or 3) both one and two

The 5151 is the only time I actually believe the claim of "untested". With respect to the price, I certainly wouldn't pay it, but the OP feels differently. Do I think it's overpriced? Absolutely. Would I begrudge the seller for charging a price that the market will obviously bear? Not at all

The seller's stated reason for being unable to test may well be a fabrication, but in this case it simply doesn't matter.

Oh I’m not arguing about the 5151 for sure. I recently bought one on eBay in the same situation, for the same reason. I got a very good deal (way less than $100, including shipping) because it wouldn’t power on. I didn’t feel too bad because I was still taking a small risk. When I got it, it was fine.

I’ve got another 5151 that I bought locally and when I powered it up with a signal it got a raster, but it seems like just random garbage on the screen. Fortunately others have posted similar failures, so hopefully it’s just a common IC or capacitor.

You paid more for the keyboard than I would have an entire 5150 setup with keyboard and monitor.

And almost $400.00 for an untested monitor?!? Why? Anyone knows you can stick a standard IEC power cable into the 5151 monitor to power it on, so the fact that the seller DIDNT power it up is a huge red flag (I know it still needs a video signal, but regardless).
EoQjgORUcAE-nVP

There are plenty of working monitors for less than half that price. Or much less https://www.ebay.com/itm/255941140107

Over $1000.00 for a 5150 just seems really, really crazy to me. They are super common here in the states especially the 256Kb model.
I know it's a bit expensive and the monitor really is a bit of a gamble, but if it DOES work, I would have one in great condition with an original box. As far as my 5150, it came with a working HDD, which seems to be $200-$300 alone just about anywhere online. Also, I know the keyboard was a bit expensive as well, but it didn't seem completely outrageous compared to the others I've seen online. Additionally, the computer came with 4 cards, including a RAM expansion and Herc. If you look at the combo's online, what I paid for the whole setup has still ended up cheaper than pretty much all of those.

This is my reasoning behind purchases as a whole.I would never find one of these locally, so I pretty much had to go by online pricing. Unless I'm just completely oblivious to cheaper options, it seems fairly competitive considering.

In just about any other situation I would agree with this. The 5151 is unique since it doesn't even power up without a sync pulse. 99% of people in the world either: 1) don't know this 2) don't have an MDA source to test with or 3) both one and two

The 5151 is the only time I actually believe the claim of "untested". With respect to the price, I certainly wouldn't pay it, but the OP feels differently. Do I think it's overpriced? Absolutely. Would I begrudge the seller for charging a price that the market will obviously bear? Not at all

The seller's stated reason for being unable to test may well be a fabrication, but in this case it simply doesn't matter.
Normally I never believe the untested claim, that's for sure. I paid the premium partly for the box and partly for it being in decent shape. Also, because I wanted to get it quickly and there wasn't a reasonably priced confirmed working one at the time. This was the best "untested" one there, that I saw, even though it's a bit high.

Last edited:
I am all for you saving your money and nothing you have listed that you purchased is remotely near competetively priced. All of those items were very bloated prices. Do you not have craigslist in VA? Or even FB marletplace as big a trainwreck as that place.is?. just got a 5170 pc AT for about $130 came complete last summer. I turn down most 5150s I get offered at this loint. Those cards are all mostly easy to find as well. If you are patient. as far as a woeking hard drive.. Its an mfm drive.. it will die. sooner thsn later. Getting the xtide is a good choice as the mfm will probably not last long so i dont see it as a desirable thing to purchase.

All of my 3 PC form factor machines (two 5150s and a 5162) have a pair of ST-225 hard drives in them. That model runs like a raped ape.

I’ve got some ST251 and ST225 that are “new” as far as I can tell. I consider them Schrödinger’s hard drives right now.

I am all for you saving uour money and nothing you have listed thst you purchases is remotely near competetive. All of those items were bloated prices. Do you not have craigslist in VA? Or even FB marletplace as big.a trainwreck as thsy place.is?. just got a 5170 pc AT for about $130 came complete last summer. I turn down most 5150s I get offered at this loint. Those cards are all mostly easy to find as well. If you are patient. as far as a woeking hard drive.. Its an mfm drive.. it will die. sooner thsn later. Getting the xtide is a good choice as the mfm will probably not last long so i dont see it as a desirable thing to purchase.
For some reason, and I don't understand why, I've never seen a desirable vintage computer, or many at all, show up on Craigslist/FB Marketplace/etc. My Goodwill ships the computers they get to Dell and that is the only "thrift shop" type of deal that even sells electronics.

People have their preferences, and if one did want a working HDD just for the "authentic experience", from what I can see a working one is again 2-300 bucks. This is vintage computing after all. Some people prefer XT-IDE's, Goteks, and the like, and others would like to go period-correct if possible. I know it will die, just as the computer will die, but at least I will have it for a while.

A big I bought the things I did is because I wanted to make the purchase now, and not have to wait. Yes, yes, I know it's ridiculous, but it's something I wanted to do.

All of my 3 PC form factor machines (two 5150s and a 5162) have a pair of ST-225 hard drives in them. That model runs like a raped ape.
The fact that my ST-225 survived shipping from California has given me a bit of hope. It was definitely a pleasant surprise.

I have used mfm hard drives since they were new. The st225 was my first hdd. It was problematic then. Randomly it would just not boot and need a LLF. Thats when it was relatively new! I have no nostalgia for mfm drives. I dont prefer xtide (i certainly dont prefer gotek) but it works and for all intents and purposes it feels the same. Paying any money for mfm drives is the same as burning your money. I have a stack of mfm drives. some work, most dont.

As far as looks are concerned all the equipment i buy is gross... this stuff is old. When and if I do a restoration it looks better than anything else out there. I dont ever look for a "nice" machine I look for a cheap one.. because I can make.any ugly machine sparkle.with some work. And all the work.it takes really isnt that difficult.. anyone can.learn how.

i hsve used mfm hard drives since they were new. The st225 was my first hdd. It wasnproblematic then. randomly it would just not boot.and need a LLF. Thats when it wa srelativelh new!. I have no nostalgia for mfm drives. I dont prefer xtide (i certainly dont prefer gotek) but it works and for.all intents and purposes it feels the same. Paying any money for mfm drives is the same as burning your money.

As far as looks are concerned all the equipment i buy is gross... this stuff is old. When and if I do a restoration it looks better than anything else out there. I dont ever look for a "nice" machine I look for a cheap one.. because I can make.any ugly machine sparkle.with some work. And all the work.it takes really isnt that difficult.. anyone can.learn how.
Depends on the dirtiness really. Some comes off and some doesn't, in my experience. I thought I would be able to clean up the PS/2 I bought a while back but as it happens what looked like scuffs were big gouges down to the metal and short of painting it, that is never going away.

I understand your point, and for the most part, I'm that way and have bought many of my computers in rough shape for that very reason, but for my 5150 I want it as nice as I can (halfway) reasonably get it. It's an iconic piece of computer history that is likely to only increase in value.

BY THE WAY: Have any of you guys seen the NEC v20's on eBay all coming from China?

What do you guys think about these? Would you ever put one in your machine even just to try it?

Last edited:
Well painting is not easy, it takes alot of practice. I try and avoid that unless there is no alternative. But cleaning is just a part of this hobby. You wil want to get scotch brite pads in the different colors (levels of courseness) regular soap and hot water and a bristle brush work wonders. I take everything apart down to its smallest pieces to clean. gets rid of most smells too. stickers and glue require adhesive removers.. be careful as steong ones melt the plastic.

I just feel that no computer is nice or clean until I am the one who cleaned/restored it. so again it doesnt matter if its caked in mud.. I can make it new. All that matters is the price. If this hobby doesnt pay for itself.. im doing it wrong.

I restored a PCjr for someone a year or two back and put an Nec V20 in it. Sure its fine. Dont know what i paid. Not to much I got two.. I should still have one left. If your concern is thst its fake or bad just open a claim.. you never know until you try it.

Last edited:
Well painting is not easy, it takes alot of practice. I try and avoid that unless there is no alternative. But cleaning is just a part of this hobby. You wil want to get scotch brite pads in the different colors (levels of courseness) regular soap and hot water and a bristle brush work wonders. I take everything apart down to its smallest pieces to clean. gets rid of most smells too. stickers and glue require adhesive removers.. be careful as steong ones melt the plastic.

I just feel that no computer is nice or clean until I am the done with it. so again it doesnt matter if its caked in mud.. I can make it new. All that matters is the price. If this hobby doesnt pay for itself.. im doing it wrong.
I agree with you that it's part of the hobby. It's always a great feeling when you're done with one and it looks nearly new. Thanks for recommending the scotch brite pads, might get a couple as I've got some stubborn spots on my PC's case that I'd like to get.

i buy them by the box on amazon as they wear out fast. Maybe start with the red as its mildly abrasive but still can get the surface to the clean you desire. The grey is very fine grit and i dont think thats what you want.

Back