• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Should Pentium II/III Systems Have a Forum?

Should Pentium II/III systems have their own forum?

• Yes

Votes: 14 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Unsure

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I certainly do like the sounds a mechanical drive makes, that's the only real reason for me. And for me personally, the speed gains just outweigh it all...
It's certainly not the factory original experience though, I fully get that. I'll usually leave a spinning drive installed if I don't want/need the extra speed, and if it's a high enough capacity to fit what I'd like.

If I wanted to be silly and load my music library onto it then I would... That's the only real usecase. I'd probably eventually run it out if I installed enough Windows software.
I honestly just like having the extra breathing room. My brain works in weird ways like that. I've never run out of space with 4GB in any PC from that time, but I still go way higher than I probably need just for comfort's sake. I put a 64GB SD card in my PowerBook 3400c just because I could.

I got by fine for many years on a 4.3gb drive back in the day, though I became weirdly obsessed with storage(which explains why I fix SANs now). One thing I liked from back then was how you really could achieve significant gains deleting small inessential files. You could squeeze an extra 2 or 300mb out that way. Sure you can do the same thing today for the same gain, but what good is 300mb on a 2tb disk?

Side note, have you seen these things:

TyQoic8.jpg

An 8gb like that can be had for $10-15USD, is guaranteed to work, and from what I've heard last forever. I have two 8gbs and a 2gb I use in various functions. I paid less than $30USD for the whole bunch.

Will those actually work on systems locked to 8GB in the BIOS? Because that 8GB SD card didn’t.

I certainly do like the sounds a mechanical drive makes, that's the only real reason for me. And for me personally, the speed gains just outweigh it all...
It's certainly not the factory original experience though, I fully get that. I'll usually leave a spinning drive installed if I don't want/need the extra speed, and if it's a high enough capacity to fit what I'd like.

Somebody needs to build a project off an arduino or something that plays hard disk noises. Maybe hook it up to the hdd led on the motherboard. Though in most of my projects the fans are louder than the spinning disks ever could be.

Those exist already in various forms, but they all have the same issue of sounding wrong. They just can’t mimic the way a HDD‘s sound changed depending on where it is on the disk, or the spindle whir.

Will those actually work on systems locked to 8GB in the BIOS? Because that 8GB SD card didn’t.
They should. Its a part designed to replace a spinning disk in an industrial setting. But alas I haven't got an 8gb-locked bios to test it on.

I’ll have to try one out. I have other systems that I could use one on if it isn’t recognized.
That’s one of the things I like about the Apple laptops from the time. None of the IDE ones except maybe the PowerBook 150 have an 8GB or other limit, up until around 120GB at least as far as I know. I have 16GB running fine in a 1996 PowerBook 1400 and the cranky 8GB SD card in the even older PB 5300 from ‘95.

Those particular cards vary in size from 256mb all the way up to 8gb, they are a very good choice for smaller CF cards guaranteed to work.

Back