• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

SimCity and Tandy sound support...does it require DAC?

EddieDX4

Veteran Member
I'm using a Tandy 1000 TX.

I tried starting SimCity using the following command line switches:

SIMCITY /dT /ST

The former uses Tandy's 320x200 16 color mode. The latter is supposed to use Tandy sound. However, I get an error when I do this that reads:

"Tandy sound BIOS not found. Using internal speaker."

My guess is that this uses digitized sounds and requires the Tandy DAC based hardware available in the TL and later 1000 series. I could test my theory, once I receive a TL/2 that's enroute to me, but figured I'd ask the question here in case someone knows for sure.

If it doesn't require the "TL sound" hardware, maybe the game's not properly detecting my Tandy's sound? I have no issues with other games.

I guess the 3-voice wasn't good enough for their music.

But hey, it is open source now... gotta port it back to DOS and add proper Tandy support :D

SimCity does not have music, the sound chip of the TL/SL/RL is used for digitized sound effects.

Yeah, I know. With a SoundBlaster or Adlib you'd get their XMI files to play. That's why I said, "I guess the 3-voice wasn't good enough for their music." (Implying they COULD have supported some form of the music if they wanted to... they did for PC Speaker after all!)

Yeah, I know. With a SoundBlaster or Adlib you'd get their XMI files to play. That's why I said, "I guess the 3-voice wasn't good enough for their music." (Implying they COULD have supported some form of the music if they wanted to... they did for PC Speaker after all!)

The original DOS SimCity never supported music on either PC Speaker or any other sound hardware. It was digitized sounds. For example, the traffic chopper (I believe he says "Helicopter 1 reporting heavy traffic". Also, the boats, and disasters (especially Godzilla).

Okay, I had SimCity Classic (Shipped with built-in terrain editor.) In any case, a version with one tune that looped for eternity while you played it. I didn't realize that was a release after the initial version as such.

the traffic chopper (I believe he says "Helicopter 1 reporting heavy traffic".

"Simcopter 1", starting the lifelong trend of Sim this and Sim that...

Last edited:
Okay, I had SimCity Classic (Shipped with built-in terrain editor.) In any case, a version with one tune that looped for eternity while you played it. I didn't realize that was a release after the initial version as such.

"Simcopter 1", starting the lifelong trend of Sim this and Sim that...

They created a monster with that little sprite and digitized sound bite...

Back