• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

simh support forum?

GreyHairedDECfan

Experienced Member
For those of us working on getting real hardware going, and in the interim wanting to simulate, is there a forum here for simh? I'm trying to set up a couple of systems but keep running into dead ends (RT11, RSTS).

I gave up on reading that long ago. Too many flame wars there from time to time.

We could indeed create a simh subforum under an 'Emulation' genre, if that's what folks would like. IMO, emulation is definitely a valuable piece of the vintage landscape, and I use it to help build, repair and diagnose all of my own equipment.

- Alex

We could indeed create a simh subforum under an 'Emulation' genre, if that's what folks would like. IMO, emulation is definitely a valuable piece of the vintage landscape, and I use it to help build, repair and diagnose all of my own equipment.

- Alex
I think that's an excellent idea. It would help consolidate that info into the VCF environment.

I highly recommend the PiDP-11 newsgroup. Many of the questions are simh or OS-related. I've posted a few RT-11 questions there (KEX anyone?) and received good answers. It's very active.

And the PiDP-11 replica kit using a Raspberry Pi and simh is one of the coolest vintage computing project I've done in a long time.

I agree on this too. I have both a PiDP-11 and PiDP-8i. Oscar did a great job in creating these.

- Alex
Any chance that this could become reality? I've looked at some of the groups mentioned by others, but would really like to have the support within VCF.

Thanks.

The existing google groups for the PiDP-8/I and PDP-11/70 SIMH based emulators by Oscar Vermeulen support simh for the PDP-8 and PDP-11 very well.

Having a SIMH group here might either dilute those groups or not be as well read as the existing google groups.

Between these two groups and cctalk mailing list, you can get all of the support for SIMH you might need for the PDP-8 and PDP-11.

For support on other processors I would suggest posting questions to the SIMH git hub repository.

Back