• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Sinclair Spectrum CP/M 2.2 - Creating Fuse Compatible Disk Images

Lawrence Woodman

Experienced Member
Hello,

I've been experimenting with CP/M 2.2 on an emulated Spectrum +3 using the Fuse emulator,
but am having problems creating disk images for it.

I have been comparing basic benchmarks across computers and would love to run the benchmark
I have written using basic-80 (mbasic) on the Spectrum under CP/M. I've tried using P3Explorer to
create a .DSK image which has mbasic.com and my bench.bas on it, but while I can type bench.bas
and everything seems to display properly, when I run mbasic.com the emulated machine just reboots.

The docs for the Spectrum version of CP/M 2.2 say that it has been tested with Basic-80,
so I'm assuming it is some problem with the way I'm creating the image.

If anyone has any ideas I would love to give them a go.

Best wishes

Lorry

Lorry,
I'd like to try your image in the MAME emulator. Can you post a disk image with your test program and MBASIC already injected?

Yours
Robert

I can confirm the behaviour you experience ... but there's something strange going on: Your disk images refuse to boot in the MAME Spectrum +3 emulation, prompting for tape loading instead.
I can boot from the original disk you linked to in your first post, though. I can mount your modified images as drives B:, and if I use P3 explorer to add MBASIC to a working image, I get the tape message as well.
P3 explorer might be to blame.

Robert

There's nothing wrong with the disk images or FUSE - if I boot from the official +3 CP/M Plus, and then insert these discs, MBASIC works just fine. (It also works under PCW CP/M in JOYCE). I'd be inclined to suspect a bug in the +3 CP/M 2.2 BIOS.

I can, again, confirm John's results: MBASIC executes when run from +3 CP/M Plus in MAME.
A disk modified by P3 Explorer refuses to boot, a disk modified by CPCDiskXP retains its ability to boot, but MBASIC's not running. I also get R/O errors when I try to copy files onto the CP/M 2.2 disk.

Robert

Something just caught my eye from Lorry's original post:

BASIC-80 does INDEED run on 2.2

0000.jpg

Robert

There's nothing wrong with the disk images or FUSE - if I boot from the official +3 CP/M Plus, and then insert these discs, MBASIC works just fine. (It also works under PCW CP/M in JOYCE). I'd be inclined to suspect a bug in the +3 CP/M 2.2 BIOS.

Thanks, in that case I'll try to see if I can get CP/M+ for the +3.

I did briefly think of using JOYCE to verify the image, but must have got sidetracked.
Incidentally, I ran this and another version using JOYCE that makes use of being able
to peek(64504) to get the clock and was pleased by the performance of the PCW.

Thanks, in that case I'll try to see if I can get CP/M+ for the +3.

I did briefly think of using JOYCE to verify the image, but must have got sidetracked.
Incidentally, I ran this and another version using JOYCE that makes use of being able
to peek(64504) to get the clock and was pleased by the performance of the PCW.

It's more portable to use peek(256*PEEK(2)-8 ) - that works on +3 CP/M Plus as well.

Thanks John and Robert. I've managed to find a CP/M Plus image and have run the program using John's suggestion for the Clock. This was much better and was pleased to see the +3 give a reasonably good benchmark.
The result is now displayed in the article.

Best wishes

Lorry

Thanks, that's taken the spectrum +3 from the bottom of the list to nearly the top, just behind the PCW, which is much quicker writing to the screen.

It's not without reason that Mallard BASIC was named after the holder of a speed record.

If you're testing speed of screen output, the +3 may be faster in its 24x32 video mode (PRINT CHR$(27)+"30").

Back