• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

SIS 486-471 Rev G and COM ports

maelstrm

Experienced Member
Hello Federation!

I'm the proud new owner of a SIS 486-471 Rev G motherboard. I'm trying to get a serial mouse to work in Windows 3.1. But here's the problem. I see no RS232/9-pin headers (or anything that could even be a candidate for a header) on the board. The BIOS has a place to set the IRQs for COM1 and COM2, but no other reference to serial ports.

So I put in a Winbond multi-IO card. But no joy. This multi-IO card is now my IDE controller, and IDE is working. But running ctmouse.exe detects no mice.

Do I need to run MODE in DOS or something? Any ideas?

That motherboard does not have integrated serial ports. The BIOS options are probably for the SIS 471 "green" functions that put the computer in standby if the keyboard/mouse is idle.

Make sure that the jumpers are set correctly on the multi I/O card, and there aren't conflicts with other devices.

Ditto on the jumpers issue. Have had this happen a few times myself. Also might be worth ensuring that there are no resource conflicts of any other kind.

Are you using any other cards besides VGA and the I/O card at the moment? Might be worth uninstalling any, if so, and proceeding from there.

Back