• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

snagged me a Wang PC240 and IBM PC/AT AT THE CURB!

tipc

Banned
Principality of Xeon W-2140B the Great State of Ce
WOOHOO. Now my collection and life is FINALLY complete!

No it ain't! No way! Not even close! Have to go back and wrap on the door to see if they still have the keyboards (and monitors).

Yeah it still happens. I see these 2 punks carrying a big IBM PS/2 carton to the curb, while distributing missing cat flyers, and I say WHAT'S GOING ON!!! I look in the box and there's 2 system units (they mistakenly called them towers). I hand out the rest of the flyers then head back over there and scarf them up. Was a happy find IMHO.

According to this page (http://home.wxs.nl/~janvdv/wang/wangmuseum.htm) the PC240 was made in Ireland. Groovy. Makes this find even more interesting. There's another one for sale on ebay, and here (http://www.recycledgoods.com/wang-pc-240-3-268-mhz-desktop-computer.html/). Go get it.

I have to confess I like big computers. It's not a monster, the same (nearly exactly the same) size as the PC/AT. But that's big enough.

Haven't done a thing with it, stuck it in my storage unit. It would be neat to see the hard drives fire up.

If anyone needs a 5170 sans keyboard, we could arrange a trade. If you like paying shipping from NJ 07731.

Any other Wang enthusiasts on the board? Ok I admit this isn't as interesting (depending on who you talk to) a find as some other piece of Wang's history. But still cool IMHO.

Last edited:
Wangs made in Ireland tend to get leaky and give off strange odors over time. At least that's what I heard.

That's awesome :)

I'm guessing you're the guy who left a message on YouTube (busy morning, haven't replied yet) but in answer to your question - the Wang PC's use a normal AT keyboard, it was the original Wang PC (Professional Computer) that used the fancy keyboard. The WANG PC240 is an AT clone that uses the Phenoix BIOS - a basic Chips & Tech 286 setup. For memory mine uses 2x512KB SIMMs and didn't seem interested in anything else, I'd install 2 x 1MB and it'd still only count 640KB, and use 384KB for shadow.

I also needed to replace the battery and remove a capacitor from near the PSU plugs to get it to start (short circuit).

Any generic AT CMOS setup program can be used to configure them - but if you want the original disks, I have their contents here:
http://www.baudband.net/downloads/wang_pc_config.zip
For the PC-200 and PC-300 series computers.

Last edited:
Scratch all the preceding. It's a PC382-X. I jumped the gun.

This one says made in the USA. How boring :(. Yes I have somewhat of a thing for foreign machines.

Fancy meeting you here again. I still can't get over your cat story by the way. Gives me hope when so many experts are telling me cats don't wander far.

haha well I don't think any of them were actually made in Ireland or the US, just assembled in those locations.
Well those disks cover the Wang PC-382 too :) I think you just need to use WWSETUP instead of SETUP or something similar.

Yeah that cat surprised us too, especially how fast he started getting the trip down.

Back