• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

So how fast is your internet?

Verizon provides a battery backup for the optical network terminal good for 8 hours. During the 10 day outage post Sandy, I had it plugged into the generator along with the router so I had internet.

Heck, DSL goes out when the power is out here--I've got my modem and server on a large UPS that keep going, but "nobody's home" on the DSL hookup until main power comes back up. At this point, an excellent reason to avoid VOIP here.

21 kB/sec down, 13.4kB/sec up through my LG C800Q @ G2 using wi-fi sharing out here in woodsy owl land.

Thats better than a shotgun modem :)

I just moved back in wiht my parents and switched from a Shaw 25 and 5Mb/s connection to a Telus ADSL 20 and 1Mb/s however over wireless on the far side of the house that's currently down to 8 and 0.6Mb/s.
Telus is far more annoying with their internet too. We got it initially back in 2004 and I've never been able to host anything on my servers. Either Telus has an extra step in making the outside world talk to you or they're blocking all the major ports discretely even though rural service is no longer 256Kb/s.

Try it yourself. www.celgen.org is completely setup to direct to an IP camera but something in between blocks the connection.

Last edited:
I just moved back in wiht my parents and switched from a Shaw 25 and 5Mb/s connection to a Telus ADSL 20 and 1Mb/s however over wireless on the far side of the house that's currently down to 8 and 0.6Mb/s.
Telus is far more annoying with their internet too. We got it initially back in 2004 and I've never been able to host anything on my servers. Either Telus has an extra step in making the outside world talk to you or they're blocking all the major ports discretely even though rural service is no longer 256Kb/s.

Try it yourself. www.celgen.org is completely setup to direct to an IP camera but something in between blocks the connection.

Can't see it using the web. I get a error 504 gate error. A tracert times out after it gets to 209.121.72.232 which is Telus. Tracert from two different points stopped at the same address.
Probably blocking ports to "protect" you from accidently hosting.

Funny this thread should pop up;
3168547955.png

I can't stream to Twitch thanks to their new requirements as I complained about over here (can't be bothered to crosspost); http://karooforums.net/index.php/topic,2542.msg35438.html#new

- P.S. Is the above post spam?

Edit: Should add, we only have a single ISP of any signifacant level in the city, there are FiWi providers but... heh... FiWi.

Last edited:
I have Charter, and I get 30 mbit down/5 mbit up. At least, that's the plan we're paying for. I find I generally get more like 35 mbit down from good servers.

Down & up are both @ 18MBPS on WIFI. I have regular FIOS (35MPBS advertised). I have a bunch of PCs and devices connected (1 W500, 1 W510, 1 W520, 2 iPads, 3 iPhones) with no issues whatsoever. :D

I should run the same test on wired sometime. :rolleyes:

For those who don't do Flash give the Legacy Java test a shot http://www.nzspeedtest.com/bandwidth-test/my-telecom-speed-test/10/2-600kb
AFAIK there's only one pipe to NZ so perhaps for those of us on the other end of it will not get very high results with that one - though I suppose it's a good indication of what the connection speed to NZ actually is for us. Which is useful to know - thanks!

I get 0.25 Mbps line speed with that, which correlates accurately with my real-time graph. However, clicking on some random Youtube clip right after that, I get almost 10 times that speed. As I've probably harped on a number of times, these speed tests tend to tell you more about the server end than the client end.

Last year my internet connection was so awesome but the 3rd quarter of this year to date the connection is a bit slow. I've called my service provider but well their customer service is so horrible.

Back